Secret Of NIMH remake...?!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Secret Of NIMH remake...?!

#1 Post by Monterey Jack »

Last edited by Monterey Jack on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

lol love the photo.

Call me crazy but this could go either way. NIMH is one of those movies I LIKE, and I love Goldsmith's score, but for me, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a classic film. Neil Burger did a fine job with THE ILLUSIONIST so it's not like they're hiring the ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS people to ruin it. That said it may completely suck -- but you never know, if you get a real filmmaker in there, he may do more with the original story than the first film did.

In the meantime, I'm interested in seeing what Burger does with the long-rumored BRIDE remake. It's got to be better than THE BRIDE :lol:

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

I just have this nightmare version of NIMH in my head with mocap CGI and fart jokes and Will Ferrell as the voice of Jeremy. :shock:

NIMH is, literally, my favorite movie of all time, so I can't say I'm thrilled with this news (as Mr. Vader put it so eloquently above :wink: ). I really liked Burger's Illusionist, though, so at least there's a glimmer of hope.

mkaroly

Re: Secret Of NIMH remake...?!

#4 Post by mkaroly »

ROFL!! I have to admit I'm with MJ on this one...not excited.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

I just have this nightmare version of NIMH in my head with mocap CGI and fart jokes and Will Ferrell as the voice of Jeremy.
Well that would be horrid, but if Neil Burger is writing the script -- and they actually use it -- that would probably be the LAST thing the movie would have.

I can't say I'm "excited" about any remake -- which could possibly be an even more faithful rendering of the original book than Bluth's film -- but given the writer, it holds some potential.

Eric W.

#6 Post by Eric W. »

mkaroly wrote:
ROFL!! I have to admit I'm with MJ on this one...not excited.
+2

Great pic btw.

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks as if this is an entirely different production altogether now at a different studio (back at cash strapped MGM).

And they've gone from Neil Burger -- who would've produced a respectable take on the material -- to Michael BERG, who wrote all five ICE AGE films.

Yup, be afraid...be VERY afraid. :lol:

Eric W.

#9 Post by Eric W. »

Shoot me now.

mkaroly

#10 Post by mkaroly »

I have had enough of remakes - what a travesty if they remake this one. Disgusting.

BobaMike

#11 Post by BobaMike »

Although the Bluth film is beautifully animated with fabulous lighting effects (better than anything Disney at the time), and the Goldsmith score is perfect, the plot/story is NOT really all the great. The bad guy is underdeveloped, there are plot holes galore: if it is so special that the Rats can talk after being experimented on, how come all the other animals can already talk? The rats are super smart- they can rig up electricty and a secret base, but they can't enlarge a mouse hole so they can fit? (forcing them to use Mrs Brisby)

My point is, a remake, that is more faithful to the book, might not be a bad thing.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

I agree Bobamike, and wrote above that if it was smartly done, they could better adapt the books in a new version. I liked the Bluth movie alright, but the animation and Goldsmith's score surpass the story and characterizations IMO as you felt.

The issue now is that it's not Neil Burger making this -- it's the ICE AGE writer -- so I don't see this being "thoughtful". We'll see if it gets off the ground.

mkaroly

#13 Post by mkaroly »

AndyDursin wrote:I agree Bobamike, and wrote above that if it was smartly done, they could better adapt the books in a new version. I liked the Bluth movie alright, but the animation and Goldsmith's score surpass the story and characterizations IMO as you felt.

The issue now is that it's not Neil Burger making this -- it's the ICE AGE writer -- so I don't see this being "thoughtful". We'll see if it gets off the ground.
Good points - I think where I was coming from more than anything else with my comments is that we will not even get close to a score as well done as Goldsmith's score was for the original which, for me as well, "surpass(es) the story and characterizations" that were weak/not so well done.

And based on how remakes have gone recently...what remake of a "classic" film has actually been better than the classic film itself? Have any scores for remakes surpassed the scores for the classic films? I don't mean that with animosity - I was trying to think of a recent remake that was better than the original "classic" and I just can't think of one. At any rate, that is why my skepticism is off the charts where something like this is concerned.

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

I definitely agree Michael. I mean -- the way the description now reads, it sounds like it's going to be Disney's G-FORCE or something stupid like that.

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

Here's a fascinating making-of from a Nickelodeon program from the early 80's someone threw up on YouTube (introduced by Leonard Nimoy...! :shock: )

I'm glad that the supposed remake apparently has been dropped, because no one will ever touch what Bluth and his animators (and Jerry Goldsmith) created with the 1982 film.