Elizabeth McGovern & Actresses Whose Careers Died

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: Elizabeth McGovern & Actresses Whose Careers Died

#31 Post by AndyDursin »

DavidBanner wrote:You're right about both of those guys. Not much in the last few years.

I see Keaton popped up in The Other Guys. Sounds like the "crusty but benign boss role"...
He's actually pretty funny in one of his biggest roles in years. As I wrote in the other thread it's the first time I've laughed on-screen at him in a couple of decades.

As for the movie -- some hilarious sections and then it stops dead about an hour in. Worth a rental.

Eric Paddon

#32 Post by Eric Paddon »

You could add a number of TV actresses from this era too who just seemed to vanish after a brief moment of fame. From the 80s, names like Rebecca Holden ("Knight Rider"), Pamela Sue Martin ("Dynasty" after her earlier "Nancy Drew" success), Jane Badler ("V"; yes, I know she went to Australia and will be back now) and many more.

Paul MacLean

#33 Post by Paul MacLean »

Lisa Jakub was a young actress who had a great future I thought, and had roles in big films -- Matnee, Mrs. Doubtfire, Independance Day. But I read she got married and has dropped out of acting altogether.

Monterey Jack

#34 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:29 am Lisa Jakub was a young actress who had a great future I thought, and had roles in big films -- Matnee, Mrs. Doubtfire, Independance Day. But I read she got married and has dropped out of acting altogether.
Lisa was interviewed on the recent Matinee Blu from Shout Factory, and I was pleased to see her. :)

Also, this thread came back to mind watching the new Scream Factory Blu of Drag Me To Hell, and I was reminded of how swimmingly Alison Lohman's career was going in the 00's, but then came to a sudden, screeching halt after the release of that film.

Yet another promising, attractive young actress who got married, started a family, and basically gave up acting. :( She was phenomenal in both this and Matchstick Men, so it's sad that she gave up her career. She's also interviewed for the SF disc, and finally looks older than fourteen. :lol:

AndyDursin

#35 Post by AndyDursin »

It truly is weird, she vanished totally and gave up on her career altogether just when it was getting going. Her husband is one half of the CRANK team so it's not like she can't get back in the game, though.

Realized this doesn't directly connect with the subject thread but had to chime in. I watched ONLY THE BRAVE last night and stunned again how this happened, and how utterly emaciated JC now looks. It's not only the reduction surgery -- she looks positively sickly. Sad. :( :( :(

RIP to the old Jen...

Monterey Jack

#36 Post by Monterey Jack »

Ugh...! :?

I always get crap for harping on what Connelly has done to herself over the past 20 years ("How shallow are you...?"), but it's not just an example of an actress looking older or the boob reduction or whatever (obviously Connelly wasn't going to look like she did in 1991 forever)...it's as horrific an example of self-mutilation as Michael Jackson or Mickey Rourke. :shock: Just looking at those two pics side-by-side, it's hard to believe it's the same actress. And the hell of it is...it "worked", as far as Connelly's career went. Almost immediately after her breast reduction (but before she got ridiculously skinny) she won an Oscar for A Beautiful Mind, probably for the "shallow" reason that people could finally look her in the eyes. :lol:

Look at Elisabeth Shue...yes, she looks like a woman in her mid-50's, but she hasn't mutilated her body with a crash diet or her face with plastic surgery, and she still looks damn good for her age.

Were I a teenage boy right now, I'd be SO jealous of Nat Wolff in that clip. :)

jkholm

#37 Post by jkholm »

I hadn't seen this topic before. Interesting to see how things have changed over the years (or not) for some of the actresses mentioned. McGovern got a lead role on Downton Abbey and Minnie Driver is currently the lead on Speechless, a show I haven't seen but have heard is good.

I looked up a few other actresses to see if they've done anything recently. I had no idea Lea Thompson did several years on Switched at Birth. And Geena Davis is on The Exorcist. But the problem remains that once an actress hits middle-age, the roles suddenly diminish until they're old enough to play mothers who have grown children.

Should be interesting to see where Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Stone are in ten or fifteen years.

Eric W.

#38 Post by Eric W. »

If anyone felt like it we could easily have an actor thread like this, too. So I made one!

Fascinating rabbit trail. I've had several "wow, I remember her!" moments in here. Good job.

AndyDursin

#39 Post by AndyDursin »

Just looking at those two pics side-by-side, it's hard to believe it's the same actress. And the hell of it is...it "worked", as far as Connelly's career went. Almost immediately after her breast reduction (but before she got ridiculously skinny) she won an Oscar for A Beautiful Mind, probably for the "shallow" reason that people could finally look her in the eyes.
I don't want to be shallow myself, but I have to be honest: I don't particularly like JC as an actress and never have. I don't think she's ever had much charisma or personality on-screen. In most of her performances, she's pretty blank, if not downright "chilly". What I liked about her was mostly related to her physique and when that changed, my interest in her dropped off the radar. She got fortunate being in A BEAUTIFUL MIND and rode the wave of that film, but I can't recall anything about her performance in that movie today...

I certainly don't have the affection for her as I do for the likes of Elisabeth Shue or others we've spoken about over the years. She WAS beautiful, but that's pretty much it for me.

Eric W.

#40 Post by Eric W. »

Shue is still awesome in all respects. :)

Monterey Jack

#41 Post by Monterey Jack »

A perfect example of how another actress from the 90's looks today as compared to Connelly. :(

Eric W.

#42 Post by Eric W. »

^^ Age differences and maybe some other genetic variables notwithstanding just to be as generous about this as possible. We all know Jennifer definitely had some issues and so forth past that.

End summary reaction still is: :shock:

Monterey Jack

#43 Post by Monterey Jack »

The thing is, Salma is about five years OLDER than Connelly, yet still looks almost the same as she did twenty years ago, whereas Connelly looks positively haggard these days. And it's not being older or having her breasts removed, she honestly looks sickly and unwell. :(

AndyDursin

#44 Post by AndyDursin »

JC looks like she has an eating disorder. Seriously.

Monterey Jack

#45 Post by Monterey Jack »

I mean, there are plenty of willowy, slender actress with naturally small breasts who nevertheless look healthy and beautiful (Emma Stone, Natalie Portman and Zoe Saldana all come to mind), so it's not just the "shallow" disappointment that Connelly's voluptuous figure from the 90's will never return. But just looking at her from the neck up, she's almost unrecognizable compared to what she looked at 30 years ago.

Again...Elisabeth Shue obviously looks older than she did in her Karate Kid and Adventures In Babysitting days, but you could put pics of her from the 80's side-by-side with pics of her today, and would still easily recognize it's he same actress (even if you had never seen her in anything before). But nobody wants to call Connelly out on what she's done to herself because you'll be referred to as a shallow pig who wants it to be 1991 forever. :?