Halloween Horror Marathon 2014

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Halloween Horror Marathon 2014

#1 Post by Monterey Jack »

Halloween Horror Marathon '12

Halloween Horror Marathon '13

Submitted for your approval...one Monterey Jack. Film fan. Movie score collector. And -- once per year -- indulges in his passion for movies that go bump in the night throughout the month of October. Usually this entails viewings of old favorites in the comfort of his living room, supplemented with the occasional trip to the multiplex to sample the latest in shock cinema. But Mr. Jack's usual routine is not going to go according to plan this year. Instead of the usual safe frights he views through the television monitor or the silver screen, this year his annual horror movie marathon will chart a course that will take him through the darkest regions of...the Twilight Zone.

Last edited by Monterey Jack on Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AndyDursin

Re: Halloween Horror Marathon 2014

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Yes! MJ's thread has come early this year!! :D

I am watching stuff this year. I promise.

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Thought I'd get it in early, to accommodate the schedule of the gracious Mr. Serling. 8)

Just wondering what sort of "theme" to follow this year...last year it was 80's slashers, and although I barely put a dent in the ones I hadn't seen yet, I don't just want to do the same thing (although I'll probably toss a few in there for variety). Any ideas?

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Hmmm...you could go old. Or at least older. Not sure what you have on tap in your library.

We should link to past threads as well!

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: We should link to past threads as well!
Good idea. :) ^

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

I, Frankenstein (2014): 1.5/10

Wow...this is Stephen Sommers-level bad. :shock:

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Somers' movies (well most of them) are 100 times more entertaining than anything resembling I FRANKENSTEIN or the UNDERWORLD movies.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

GHOSTBUSTERS II

6/10

I tried in good conscience to watch this film for the first time in a long while, and unfortunately, it is not better than I recall it being. Not that GBII is a total disaster -- it's nicely shot, and seeing the cast together again is good for some light entertainment (Murray and Weaver fare best)...but man, the story is SO contrived. The whole film is plot/plot/plot driving everything forward, and the film just has no momentum or energy. The places I recall it being especially poor -- in regards to the Rick Moranis and Annie Potts characters -- it remains as bad. It's like they wanted to use Moranis but couldn't figure out how or where to do so, so they shoehorn him in a few different places, all to negligible effect. What's worse, they obviously wanted to do something with Moranis and Slimer (one of the deleted bits is in the Blu-Ray), but axed it...talk about a dumb decision when Slimer was a fan favorite especially among kids because of the cartoon.

The other big problem is that the film just isn't funny. Peter MacNicol is horrible, the guy stepping into William Atherton's part is weak, the Statue of Liberty bit is mildly amusing but it's just a rehash of the Stay-Puft Man...there's just no bite, no purpose to this film at all other than cashing all the requisite checks for the major players. The very beginning generates a few chuckles but that's pretty much it.

Sure there are worse sequels, but it's still just not a very good movie, down to its mediocre soundtrack and Randy Edelman's alright but decidedly push-button scoring, which has none of the verve of Elmer's score for the first picture. I still believe firmly that the major disappointment generated by this film is the reason III never happened...Ivan Reitman can blame its reception on the fact it "took too long" to make it (and he's right to a degree, because it did), but the film has some serious shortcomings that are plainly visible no matter how many years one is separated from it.

Monterey Jack

#9 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Somers' movies are 100 times more entertaining than anything resembling I FRANKENSTEIN or the UNDERWORLD movies.
The Underworld movies are guilty pleasures (although Kate Beckinsale in skintight leather has something to do with that :wink: ), but Sommers hasn't made a watchable movie since his 1994 version of The Jungle Book...probably because CGI wasn't advanced enough at that point for him to choke EVERY FRAME of his movies with it. :? Seriously, he's like the Michael Bay version of Steven Spielberg...all jittery and Ritalin-deprived and with an awful, AWFUL sense of humor. The first Mummy was dumb, but sort of harmless (and Jerry's music smoothed over the rough spots), but the sequel was HIDEOUS, and he somehow managed to make an even worse film with Van Helsing, which made me question if he had EVER seen a classic Universal monster movie in his life. I also despised his G.I. Joe. He's a lousy filmmaker.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah we don't agree on his body of work, because I didn't think his JUNGLE BOOK was all that good as memory serves (havent seen that in a LONG time). All of his films are flawed, and I don't like his sense of humor (DEEP RISING is pretty terrible) either, but I think he makes decent, if decidedly dumb, popcorn movies. There are worse hacks who don't understand how to even make one of these types of films fun -- like Michael Bay.

I didn't see ODD THOMAS though...apparently it wasn't very good.

Monterey Jack

#11 Post by Monterey Jack »

Godzilla (2014): 7/10

Still a frustrating "Lucy yanking the football away from Charlie Brown" experience...when the Big G and the MUTOs finally throw down in the last twenty minutes of the film, it's genuinely thrilling and worth the wait, but OH GOD, what a wait. :x It's not like the classic Godzilla pics of the past didn't have their share of dry "talking head" scenes with gobbledeygook-spewing scientists and grim-faced military men, but those movies rarely broke the 90-minute mark, whereas this goes on and on for a full two hours of tepid stock character drama (with a shamefully squandered cast of talented actors). Had the narrative been tightened up and director Gareth Edwards not cut away from the action every time it really started to get going, the film would have been truly satisfying. As it is, like too many movies these days, it's a feature-length advertisement for the "real" movie to follow. I still enjoyed the film, but give us some more action next time, and don't shoot all of it in the dark and rain.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah he is not going to be able to pull the same act again or else there will be riots inside theaters worldwide lol. As it is I could hear people getting irritated even on opening night.

Monterey Jack

#13 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:As it is I could hear people getting irritated even on opening night.
In the scene where Elizabeth Olsen is running into the underground shelter, and we see G and one of the MUTOs just about to get down to it as the doors close, I heard the guy sitting a few seats away from me let out the loudest exasperated sigh I've heard in a while. :lol: I can understand wanting to slowly build the tension or whatever, but we paid to see MONSTERS FIGHTING, dammit. The first time Edwards cuts away from the action (in Hawaii, cutting to Kick-Ass's kid watching the fight on the news), it was an intentional joke, and sort of funny, but he just keeps doing it until the movie is practically over, and it got old REALLY fast. :? Hopefully the sequel will give us more of what we want, and with Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah in the mix, I'm sure that will happen.
Last edited by Monterey Jack on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monterey Jack

#14 Post by Monterey Jack »

Dead Silence (2007): 5.5/10

Okay-ish effort from a post-Saw, pre-Conjuring James Wan has some creepy imagery, but it all comes across as kind of slight and forgettable.

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »