Bond 24 - SPECTRE

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: Bond 24 - SPECTRE

#91 Post by AndyDursin »

SPECTRE was such a bore. The longest film AFAIK in the entire series and felt like it. I still can't get over the "driving into the sunset" ending, a WTF moment that has to signal the end for Craig because narratively it didn't make a lot of sense otherwise.

Eric Paddon

#92 Post by Eric Paddon »

Even while simultaneously leaving Blofeld alive to keep him as a recurring villain which makes even less sense.

Paul MacLean

#93 Post by Paul MacLean »

Spectre is on Amazon Prime so I decided to give it another look last night.

Maybe it was my mood, but I liked it a lot less on second viewing.

My main complaint? It's unbelievably boring. I don't think there is a slower-moving film in the history of Bond films.

I have to say I really liked the teaser. The Mexican "Day of the Dead" celebration was very atmospheric and a terrific setting for a Bond sequence (particularly in the eerie way it symbolized Bond's profession, which is rife with death). The long tracking shot that follows Bond into the hotel was very impressive, as was the shot of Bond strolling along the edge of the building. Ok, the helicopter fight's a bit longer than it needs to be, but overall I felt this film had one of the better openings of the entire series. The humorous bit as Bond narrowly escapes the building collapse was deftly pulled-off, and Craig's deadpan expression (after he lands conveniently on the couch) worked beautifully.

I liked the setup of the main story, and M's numerous remonstrations with "C", but once things move to Rome, it all falls apart for me. The car chase has no tension or energy (nor do any of the action sequences, post-teaser). The attempts at humor seem an attempt to recapture the campy fun of the Moore pictures, but it doesn't jibe with Craig's serious interpretation of the role.

The big bad henchman seems inspired by Oddjob, Jaws, etc. but he's ultimately nothing more than a one-dimensional "stock villain" (Oddjob at least had his bowler hat, and Jaws his set of steel teeth - what's unique about this guy?). Also, I know Bond films stretch plausibility, but surely, after a brutal fight in a dining car where a man is thrown off the train in front of copious witnesses, the conductor would stop to investigate what happened (the train fights in FRWL, L&LD and TSWLM at least took place in the privacy of a compartment -- you can get away with the excuse that "nobody saw the fight").

This film is also a victim of the "cautious casting" mindset. Christophe Waltz is a truly great actor, but his casting is contrived, as he was clearly chosen because he's so familiar to the public (with Spectre, Waltz joins Michael Fassbinder and Benedict Cumberbatch in the "most overused actors" club).

The score hides its head for the most part, barely offering any satisfying crescendoes or melodic lyricism (there are flashes of these things, but never more than a few second's worth). The action cues are comprised of electronic drones and ostinati. I'm sure Thomas Newman would have loved to "let loose" more but Sam Mandez wouldn't let him.

Truth be told, I turned this movie off after two hours. I'll probably finish it tonight.

AndyDursin

#94 Post by AndyDursin »

How can you make a movie that reintroduces Spectre after all these years and have it be such a yawner? What was Spectre even doing....spying on the government? A far cry from trying to take over the world!

You forgot the all time nadir theme song of the entire franchise too! ;)

Eric Paddon

#95 Post by Eric Paddon »

Steve Martin's great line to John Candy comes to mind. "HAVE A POINT!!!!"