Bond 24 - SPECTRE

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

Re: Bond 24 - SPECTRE

#31 Post by Paul MacLean »

Did anyone catch the quote of the OHMSS theme? I wonder if this will actually make it into the score itself.

Overall the film looks impressive...except I'm getting tired of Christoph Waltz showing up in everything. He's becoming the German Benedict Cumberbatch!

John Johnson

#32 Post by John Johnson »

London. Greatest City in the world.

John Johnson

#33 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin

#34 Post by AndyDursin »

Paul MacLean wrote:Did anyone catch the quote of the OHMSS theme? I wonder if this will actually make it into the score itself.

Overall the film looks impressive...except I'm getting tired of Christoph Waltz showing up in everything. He's becoming the German Benedict Cumberbatch!
I'd rather have whoever scored the trailer write the music for SPECTRE over Thomas Newman. I'm sure we won't be lucky enough to get any of that actually in the film :(

I do like Waltz, he looks perfect for the part. He might be in everything, but he has more charisma than Cumberbatch (there I said it!). His Khan performance was DOA, much like the film itself.

Hopefully some humor works its way into the film other than a couple of brief snarky lines. The tone looks kind of glum...but I'll still be there!

AndyDursin

#35 Post by AndyDursin »

Also -- just saw the new MISSION IMPOSSIBLE. Too bad Bond doesn't have Rebecca Ferguson. DAMN. Can't recall the last Bond girl as memorable as Ferguson is in this film.

John Johnson

#36 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin

#37 Post by AndyDursin »

How many people have they allegedly trotted out there? Lol. Smith is quite popular so I can see it but...who knows

John Johnson

#38 Post by John Johnson »

Monterey Jack

#39 Post by Monterey Jack »

"...along with the rest of him." 8)

AndyDursin

#40 Post by AndyDursin »

I don't have a direct link but the song is out and its an utter bore.

Edmund Kattak

#41 Post by Edmund Kattak »

What happened to Adele as mentioned earlier in the thread?
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#42 Post by AndyDursin »

If you have Spotify (it's free) you can hear it here -- I DONT recommend paying for this on itunes:

Anyway Ed, re: Adele...could have been idle speculation seeing as her new album is coming out in November. Who knows...they threw so many names out there you wonder where the "stories" were coming from. Or, it's possible these artists DID submit songs, and this was the one Eon happened to pick.

Whatever the case may be -- I don't like it. At all. It's slow, boring, melodically unappealing. I kept waiting for it to kick into another gear (percussion please?) and it never does. I guess if you love Smith's work and hearing him hit his falsetto, it might be acceptable, but even there, it doesn't work as a Bond song. I'd have turned it off in about 30 seconds (or faster) if it wasn't a "Bond theme".

Huge disappointment, but it's just one of many poor decisions Eon has made in terms of the music for this series really since they started the Brosnan era.

At any rate -- Smith says he wrote the song in 20 minutes. SHOCKER lol

mkaroly

#43 Post by mkaroly »

I agree with your assessment Andy; plus, if you think about what the male singers brought to songs for Bond (Tom Jones, McCartney, A-Ha, Duran Duran), they brought a masculinity, a sense of power, and a "male-ness" to the song that reflected the extreme masculinity of James Bond (one could argue that Matt Monro's FRWL was a bit weak, but at least he was singing in the idiom of his time). This song lacks masculinity; it lacks "male-ness" and sounds to me like some whiny loser about to cry, which in turn works against the James Bond masculine persona/character in the films. This is a TOTAL misfire IMO and an embarrassment...it is weak and unimpressive and unworthy of Bond...IMO.

AndyDursin

#44 Post by AndyDursin »

Craig says he'd rather "slit his wrists" than play Bond again, adding "f---k them and good luck" to Eon.

Maybe this interview happened after his Bernie Sanders donation debachle?? Lol

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/danie ... 201612654/

Eric W.

#45 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:Craig says he'd rather "slit his wrists" than play Bond again, adding "f---k them and good luck" to Eon.

Maybe this interview happened after his Bernie Sanders donation debachle?? Lol

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/danie ... 201612654/

Sure doesn't like any good will there and it makes me wonder about a lot of different things.