Stephen King's IT - Director's Cut, "Part 2" Coming

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Re: Stephen King's IT - September 8th - Trailer

#16 Post by Monterey Jack »

Not to worry about the accidental edit, Andy...happens to the best of us. 8)

As for The Shining, if someone could have melded Stanley Kubrick's dazzling visual sheen to the novel's aching human core, the resulting film would have been a masterpiece. Kubrick's film is expertly made, frequently eerie and has some iconic moments, but it's also one of those movies where, if you even DARE to admit you don't really care for it aside from being a superior technical exercise, the public at large will laugh and jeer at you. :? Hell, I feel that way about Blade Runner...it's masterfully visualized, but it's the cinematic equivalent of one of John Barry's "romantic" scores...it hovers between "hypnotic" and "kinda boring" for me, never once making me care about the characters or even get involved in the gumshoe aspects of the narrative. I respect the hell out of the film, and it's one of the most visually influential sci-fi movies ever, but it's not something I sit down to watch for sheer pleasure all that often. The sequel coming out later this year will undoubtedly make me drag out the Blu-Ray again, but, again, I'm sure I'll be left wanting. The Shining miniseries is weak sauce in terms of production value, but I give it credit for getting the core of King's novel up there. Mick Garris is basically a journeyman hack, but both The Shining and The Stand were well-made for their day and medium (let's not mention Sleepwalkers, however. :lol: ).

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah that's absolutely it. If you could put the heart of King's novel in a visual wrapping like the Kubrick film, you would've had something. Blade Runner is a mood piece, but I find myself enraptured by it time after time. Not for everyone though...I get that.

jkholm

#18 Post by jkholm »

I was going through my old VHS tapes a few weeks ago and found one with a recording of the mini-series version of THE SHINING. I think I had read the book some time before the mini-series aired so I was able to appreciate how the story followed the book more than the Kubrick film did. GOLDEN YEARS was another King mini-series I liked.

I remember being disappointed by the second half of IT. I didn’t think it was as compelling as the first half with the focus on the kids. Sometime after that I read Dan Simmons’ book Summer of Night which had a similar premise dealing with a group of kids confronting a horrible supernatural evil thing that of course, none of the adults in the small town believed in. Simmons’ story stuck with the kids to the end. At the time, I thought it was better than IT, but I was basing that more on the movie since I had never read King’s book.

Is the September release date something to be concerned about? Isn’t that normally when studios dump stuff that wasn’t good enough for summer and not good enough for the fall?

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

I agree with you John, the first half of the show was stronger than the second. They will have to do a little tweaking/reworking to make it effective, should Part 2 get made. I never read the book, but endings as we know have never been Stephen King's strong suit.
jkholm wrote:Is the September release date something to be concerned about? Isn’t that normally when studios dump stuff that wasn’t good enough for summer and not good enough for the fall?
Not so much these days, they schedule "tentpoles" all year long now. Even January isn't the "run off" dumping grounds it used to be. Same studio also has the low-budget ANNABELLE sequel lined up for release in early August so they probably feel that one is riper for big money.

Monterey Jack

#20 Post by Monterey Jack »

Most horror movies get released in September these days...studios probably rationalizing that, if the films hit, they'll get an uptick in sales when audiences are in the mood for a "scary movie". I mean, last year in October, there was the surprisingly excellent Ouija sequel, and, uh, Boo! A Madea Halloween, and...nothing else. :? Back in the day, October would be CRAMMED with scary movies, but now, it seems like 90% of them are dumped in January or February.

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

No shortage of them this year though: another SAW, another INSIDIOUS, and the CLOVERFIELD "project" GOD PARTICLE are all out during the last two weeks of October. Throw in IT and the FLATLINERS remake in September and you have a glut of genre pictures this year.

The King movie I'd be worried about, in terms of a release window, is THE DARK TOWER. They just moved the release date this morning to August 4th -- for like the tenth time -- and there has not been a trailer, absolutely NOTHING, produced for it yet. I mean, it's basically April and the movie has had no promotion at all.

Apparently Sony moved it this time because they want the EMOJI MOVIE to get more "summertime play" -- if you can believe that one. Wouldn't surprise me if Sony pushed it into 2018, unless the film is a wash and they don't want to spend any more money on it than they already have. Let's hope that's not the case.

Monterey Jack

#22 Post by Monterey Jack »

135 minute running time. 8) At least THIS studio respects the source material...

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

No surprise here! Just wonder if it's coming this year, or they'll save it for Halloween 2018 after the "standard version" sells for a year or so.
Hide the kids and break out the red balloons, It is getting supersized. Ringmaster Andy Muschietti has exclusively revealed to Yahoo Movies that he is working on an elongated director’s cut of his record-smashing, nightmare-inducing Stephen King adaptation that will be released with the home edition at the end of the year.

Muschietti and his producer/sister, Barbara Muschietti, broke the news about the It director’s cut on Thursday morning, noting that Warner Bros. had asked them to produce the new version shortly before they came to our studios to participate in a Facebook Live.

Asked if there were any scenes that he found difficult to trim (considering the novel weighed in at 1,000-plus pages), Andy Muschietti said there was one in particular that stood out. “There’s a great scene, it’s a bit of a payoff of the Stanley Uris plot which is the bar mitzvah, where he delivers a speech against all expectations… it’s basically blaming all the adults of Derry [for the town’s history of deadly “accidents” and child disappearances], and it has a great resolution. … Maybe it will be in the director’s cut!”

“Right, we are going to do a director’s cut. We were told this morning,” Barbara Muschietti chimed in.

Andy Muschietti said there would “probably [be] an extra 15 minutes for hardcore fans” in total, including a “very funny” extended version of the quarry scene, where the group of young protagonists who call themselves The Losers Club try to gin up the courage to jump off a cliff into the water below.

“After the spitting contest it escalates into something that is completely weird and irrelevant to the scene but is so funny. Jack Grazer, who plays Eddie, does something that is completely bonkers.”

The filmmaker had assembled longer cuts during the production process before ultimately trimming the film to 2 hours, 15 minutes for its theatrical release. Warner Bros. has not announced a specific release date for DVD/Blu-ray, but it is expected to arrive in time for the holidays, because nothing says Yuletide cheer like a demonic, children-devouring harlequin.

Meanwhile, the Muschiettis said that they are already outlining the story for It: Chapter 2, which will bring back the Losers as adults for a final, fateful confrontation with Pennywise. They said they hope to bring back the young cast in flashback (“before they all have beards”), as well as Bill Skarsgård as their clown adversary.

Andy Muschietti also said he’d love to do a new version of Pet Sematary, the first Stephen King novel the filmmaker read, or a screen adaptation of the short story “The Jaunt,” a sci-fi/horror tale about futuristic teleportation technology that allows people to “jaunt” across the universe from the author’s 1985 collection, Skeleton Crew.

First, however, the duo will be working on an adaptation based on the work of a different member of the King clan. They begin production next month on the series Locke and Key, based on the time-hopping supernatural comic book series written by Joe Hill, the pen name of Stephen King’s son Joe Hillstrom King. That series is slated to stream on Hulu in 2018.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/hor ... 41697.html

AndyDursin

Re: Stephen King's IT - Director's Cut En Route

#24 Post by AndyDursin »

Big weekend ahead!
Big $7.2M THU for #ITMovie, stunning $158.7M in 1st 7days. 2nd biggest opening week of all-time for any R-rated film after just #Deadpool.

AndyDursin

Re: Stephen King's IT - Director's Cut En Route

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

Sequel all set --- but you'll have to wait...

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/it-mo ... 202570309/
Pennywise the evil clown is due back in theaters in less than two years. New Line and Warner Bros. have set the “It” sequel for release on Sept. 6, 2019.

The studio, which announced the date on Monday, had revealed earlier this month that Gary Dauberman was working on the script.

Andy Muschietti, who directed “It,” is expected to return for the second installment. Producers Barbara Muschietti, Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Seth Grahame-Smith, and David Katzenberg are believed to be back as well.

Stephen King’s 1986 novel focuses on a group of friends in a fictional Maine community that battles the small town’s demon as kids, and then again as adults. The blockbuster movie, which opened Sept. 8, centers on the children, while the upcoming film will follow them into adulthood

Since its debut earlier this month, “It” has shattered numerous records, earning $266.1 million domestically to date and $478.1 million globally. The R-rated pic has brought a surge in moviegoing after a dismal August.

Made for about $35 million, “It” stars Bill Skarsgard as Pennywise, along with Jeremy Ray Taylor, Sophia Lillis, Finn Wolfhard, Wyatt Oleff, Chosen Jacobs, Jack Dylan Grazer, Nicholas Hamilton, Jaeden Lieberher, and Jackson Robert Scott.

mkaroly

Re: Stephen King's IT - Director's Cut, "Part 2" Coming

#26 Post by mkaroly »

I find it interesting that they are working on the script...I figured it would have already been written!

Monterey Jack

#27 Post by Monterey Jack »

mkaroly wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:48 am I find it interesting that they are working on the script...I figured it would have already been written!
Big movies ALWAYS tweak the screenplay right up until filming begins, and usually well into production as well. And considering how HUGE It is, I'm sure the writers will take into account everything people liked about the first, and try to work any possible revisions into the second half.

AndyDursin

#28 Post by AndyDursin »

I assumed they were so far down the rabbit hole with this project, the sequel was closer to happening, especially because IT was conceived as one long movie -- then two parts depending on this one's box-office performance. I am surprised it's that far off, but I am guessing they really did not retain much of anything from the Fukunaga version, especially where the second half goes, and opted to make a much "safer" and more commercial adaptation, very much like the TV mini-series in hindsight (just with a grittier R rating). But I would've thought they had the script going or very well along by this point.

Still shocks me how well this movie is doing. It's entertaining but one of the highest-grossing R-rated/horror movies ever made? It really IS a shocker, because the film isn't that amazing. Hell I didn't even think it was scary (I was far more "freaked out" by the ANNABELLE movie, which wasn't as good a film, but was more disturbing).

Monterey Jack

#29 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:03 pm Still shocks me how well this movie is doing. It's entertaining but one of the highest-grossing R-rated/horror movies ever made? It really IS a shocker, because the film isn't that amazing. Hell I didn't even think it was scary (I was far more "freaked out" by the ANNABELLE movie, which wasn't as good a film, but was more disturbing).
It's probably an unusual combination of timing, subject matter, nostalgia for the TV miniseries for those old enough to have seen it, general "creepy clown" paranoia, a superb marketing campaign, and the current Stranger Things fetish for kids butted against a supernatural threat. The fact that the film didn't plummet like a stone in the second weekend is surprising, though...of all film genres, the ones that tend to burn out the fastest are horror films, even the best-reviewed ones (in fact, OFTEN the best-reviewed ones...slow-burn horror like The Babadook, It Follows and The VVitch tends to have critics falling all over themselves in praise for what those films were not -- i.e. jump scare-laden multiplex trash -- whereas general audiences always complain about how "not scary" they are and they almost always end up tanking when they receive a wide release).

AndyDursin

#30 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah, that's because the movie is a mainstream crossover hit and isn't playing by the rules of a usual horror movie. Also a plus the market is dry and continues to be pretty sluggish.