INDIANA JONES & THE SEARCH FOR A SCREENPLAY - David Koepp Quits

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

INDIANA JONES & THE SEARCH FOR A SCREENPLAY - David Koepp Quits

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

It's gonna be better than KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL, right??!?

At least I would rather see an elderly Ford star than a young Chris Pratt -- anytime! 8)
Disney has just announced that Harrison Ford will be reprising his iconic role as Indiana Jones in the fifth installment in the series with Steven Spielberg returning to the director’s chair. Pic will hit screens on July 19, 2019. Spielberg directed the previous four pics and this one has yet to be titled. Franchise vets Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall will produce.

“Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history, and we can’t wait to bring him back to the screen in 2019,” said Alan Horn, Chairman, The Walt Disney Studios in a statement. “It’s rare to have such a perfect combination of director, producers, actor and role, and we couldn’t be more excited to embark on this adventure with Harrison and Steven.”

Famed archaeologist and explorer Indiana Jones was introduced in 1981’s Raiders of the Lost Ark – one of AFI’s 100 Greatest American Films of All Time – and later thrilled audiences in 1984’s Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, 1989’s Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and 2008’s Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. All together, the four titles grossed nearly $2 billion at the global box office. Among the top Memorial Day openers, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has the second highest four-day take with $126.9M behind Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End which debuted to $139.8M.

Back in February 2015, Spielberg expressed that he was interested in Chris Pratt joining the next Indiana Jones.
ttp://deadline.com/2016/03/steven-spielberg-harrison-ford-team-up-for-indiana-jones-5-disney-sets-july-2019-release-1201720725/

mkaroly

Re: INDIANA JONES 5 - Ford, Spielberg, 2019

#2 Post by mkaroly »

I have a bad feeling about this....lol...

BobaMike

#3 Post by BobaMike »

Notice who isn't mentioned at all? George Lucas!

Since he was the one who insisted on the Aliens plot of Crystal Skull, maybe this could turn out ok? I hope John Williams will still be able to do the score.

Who am I kidding: I'm an even bigger Indy fan than Star Wars fan, I know I'll be there opening night.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Ford's going to be about SEVENTY-FIVE when this hits theaters...just how much credible action can the man actually perform at this point? :shock: Even in Crystal Skull, he was on the far edge of believability as a rough & tumble adventurer, and it's been nearly a decade since that film came out. The last thing I want to see is some Roger Moore-style deal when we cut to a decades-younger stuntman every time Indy has to do something more strenuous than walking briskly. :( And I don't want to see him playing second fiddle to a youthful replacement who will take up the mantle for future sequels...even if they find an actor more charismatic than Shia LaBeouf (not too hard...a wet plate of spaghetti has more charisma than him :lol: ), it'd still be a letdown. Sean Connery deliberately turned down a cameo in Crystal Skull because he knew that audiences would be disappointed that he wouldn't be going on the adventure with "Junior", so who wants to see a decrepit Indy who can barely move?

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Connery's decision to nix CRYSTAL SKULL was one of the wisest moves of his career.

Part of me would love to see them make a film like the first three, shot on location around the world...but then I recall CRYSTAL SKULL was more like THE MUMMY filmed on CGI backdrops with abundant green-screen, and I know it's not happening with Harrison at 75/76 whatever he is. Also Kaminski with his overly stylized cinematography isn't Douglas Slocombe.

There is a chance to make amends for how lousy that film is...but I really think this is just a big-time cash-grab for Steven and Harrison. Go off, have some fun, and rake in Disney's cash money.

sprocket

#6 Post by sprocket »

I could see it work as a Harrison Ford Indy telling stories around a campfire to his grand kids "Back in my day...", introducing the new younger Indy in flashbacks.

:? Then again, we are talking Hollywood here.

Paul MacLean

#7 Post by Paul MacLean »

This will be followed-up by Sean Connery's return to the role of James Bond, and Jane Fonda baring it all in the new Barbarella sequel.

mkaroly

#8 Post by mkaroly »

Paul MacLean wrote:...and Jane Fonda baring it all in the new Barbarella sequel.
Dear God no...lol!!!

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

sprocket wrote:I could see it work as a Harrison Ford Indy telling stories around a campfire to his grand kids "Back in my day...", introducing the new younger Indy in flashbacks.

They've already done it!

Paul MacLean

#10 Post by Paul MacLean »

mkaroly wrote:
Paul MacLean wrote:...and Jane Fonda baring it all in the new Barbarella sequel.
Dear God no...lol!!!

Eric Paddon

#11 Post by Eric Paddon »

mkaroly wrote:
Dear God no...lol!!!
Although she could *almost* pull off posing in a modified version of the costume. :)

More credible would be Raquel Welch as the Queen Mother of the Rock Tribe in "999,950 B.C." :D

Monterey Jack

#12 Post by Monterey Jack »

The one good thing about a new Indy film is maybe we'll FINALLY get proper 2-disc CD releases of the previous scores (with the complete "Desert Chase" cue from Raiders).

Paul MacLean

#13 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:
sprocket wrote:I could see it work as a Harrison Ford Indy telling stories around a campfire to his grand kids "Back in my day...", introducing the new younger Indy in flashbacks.

They've already done it!
Slightly off-topic, but when are they going to release Laurence Rosenthal's score for the pilot episode of this series???

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

UGH...Koepp has written some of Spielberg's all-time worst movies (Crystal Skull, Lost World, War of the Worlds)...and here he comes again.

Sad.

https://t.co/44YSBav0GU

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

Love this quote from Spielberg at a BFG press conference:
“Of course — I would never make an ‘Indiana Jones’ film without George Lucas,” Spielberg said. “That would be insane.”
He also added:
“George Lucas’ fingerprints are on ‘The Force Awakens,'” Spielberg pointed out, “because that movie is an homage to Episode[s] IV, V and VI — a complete homage. George Lucas is all over ‘The Force Awakens.’ Lest we ever forget that.”
Good for Steven. Guess he's gotten tired of all the fanboy Lucas bashing also, and/or the fans who think THE FORCE AWAKENS is anything more than a remake.

Lucas is going to Executive Produce INDY 5 with Spielberg and is also supposed to have some creative input. Even if INDY 5 turns out to be a bust, at least it will be on their terms, it seems. I can live with that -- if I'm forced to! (Wasn't CRYSTAL SKULL enough?!?!)

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... ones-film/