Cinavia (anti-disc piracy watermark)?

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

Cinavia (anti-disc piracy watermark)?

#1 Post by Paul MacLean »

I just now tried to view a back-up copy DVD-R of a movie, and happily enjoyed the first twenty minutes of the film -- until the sound abruptly cut-out and the following error message appeared on the screen...

“Audio outputs temporarily muted. Do not adjust the playback volume. The content being played is protected by Cinavia™ and is not authorized for playback on this device.”

I have never heard of this. I Googled it and it appears most DVDs and Blu-rays released since 2010 are encoded with this "watermark", which cannot be circumvented when copying a video disc, and which triggers the above error message when a "pirated" disc is played.

I'd like to add I am not in the habit of pirating discs. but I do make safety copies. (The disc in question however was made by someone else.)

Anyone else encounter this? (I did a search of this board and it's never been mentioned in any of our discussions).

AndyDursin

Re: Cinavia (anti-disc piracy watermark)?

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

I have not run into this. I believe there are programs that deal with this, if you know what I mean, lol.