BARRY LYNDON Criterion Collection - October

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

BARRY LYNDON Criterion Collection - October

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Heads-up Paul!
BARRY LYNDON
Stanley Kubrick bent the conventions of the historical drama to his own will in this dazzling vision of brutal aristocracy, adapted from a novel by William Makepeace Thackeray. In picaresque detail, Barry Lyndon chronicles the adventures of an incorrigible trickster (Ryan O'Neal) whose opportunism takes him from an Irish farm to the battlefields of the Seven Years' War and the parlors of high society. For the most sumptuously crafted film of his career, Kubrick recreated the decadent surfaces and intricate social codes of the period, evoking the light and texture of eighteenth-century painting with the help of pioneering cinematographic techniques and lavish costume and production design, all of which earned Academy Awards. The result is a masterpiece - a sardonic, devastating portrait of a vanishing world whose opulence conceals the moral vacancy at its heart.
1975 * 184 minutes * Color * Monaural * 1.66:1 aspect ratio

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
* New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
* Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
* New documentary featuring cast and crew interviews as well as excerpts from a 1976
audio interview with director Stanley Kubrick
* New program about the film's groundbreaking visuals, featuring focus puller Douglas Milsome and gaffer Lou Bogue, as well as excerpts from a 1980 interview with cinematographer John Alcott
* New program about Academy Award-winning production designer Ken Adam with historian Sir Christopher Frayling
* New interview with editor Anthony Lawson
* French television interview from 1976 with Oscar-winning costume designer Ulla-Britt Söderlund
* New interview with critic Michel Ciment
* New interview with actor Leon Vitali about the 5.1 surround soundtrack, which he cosupervised
* New piece analyzing the fine-art-inspired aesthetics of the film with art curator Adam Eaker
* PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O'Brien and two pieces about the film from the March 1976 issue of American Cinematographer

2-BLU-RAY EDITION
SRP $39.95
PREBOOK 9/19/17
STREET 10/17/17
CAT. NO. CC2820BD
ISBN 978-1-68143-370-7
UPC 7-15515-20541-2

2-DVD EDITION
SRP $29.95
PREBOOK 9/19/17
STREET 10/17/17
CAT. NO. CC2821DDVD
ISBN 978-1-68143-371-4
UPC 7-15515-20551-1

Paul MacLean

Re: BARRY LYNDON Criterion Collection - October

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

Thanks for the heads-up Andy!

I was going to show Barry Lyndon to my niece (who loves 18th century history) sometime this summer...but I guess I will wait until September now!