THE DARK CRYSTAL: AGE OF RESISTANCE - Canceled!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: POWER OF THE DARK CRYSTAL News!

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

Nice, I'll take it!

Paul MacLean

#17 Post by Paul MacLean »

Might be ok...if they don't go overboard on CGI.

Probably won't be scored by Trevor Jones though.

Paul MacLean

#18 Post by Paul MacLean »

I wasn't expecting Trevor Jones, but it turns out Daniel Pemberton is scoring the news series. :(

Over on another board some people are simply elated over the news -- one fellow even pointing to this as a stellar example of the man's work...

Monterey Jack

#19 Post by Monterey Jack »

Pemberton's music for The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was the best original score written for a movie in the last DECADE. I've lost count of the number of times I've spun that CD in the last 3+ years. Pemberton is a definite talent.

AndyDursin

#20 Post by AndyDursin »

I guess MJ is one of those excited parties by this hire. That's fine, but I do wonder though -- does a "definite talent" write something as lousy as the score for KING ARTHUR?

As for UNCLE, that score didn't do much for me. I know a few people on the FSM board liked it but I found it phony, faux '60s musical nostalgia riffs in a bland, nondescript compositional style -- in its own way it's doing the same thing to the likes of Lalo Schifrin and others that Giacchino does every time he pretends he's John Williams. Some people might like it just because (much in the same way there were people who liked Debney's CUTTHROAT ISLAND simply because it used a "big orchestra" -- to hell with the notes they were playing!), but for me I'd much rather hear the real thing instead of an imitation, and from someone who seems to know how to write an appealing theme on top of it.

Paul MacLean

#21 Post by Paul MacLean »

I dunno, It all sounds like someone improvising on a keyboard over a drone. He doesn’t really develop the material. He sounds like someone with a modicum of talent, who uses expensive software and orchestrators. There's little in the way of melody, and lots of percussion loops, etc. I checked his website and Wiki page — neither of which mention any musical studies (surprise, surprise).

I asked David Coscina to do a “60s spy” pastiche for my short movie a few years ago — and I think David’s music was a lot better than this.

Monterey Jack

#22 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm still very interested in this. At least it's actual puppets, and Leterrier has a pretty good record all things considered. In this instance I also like the prequel route, seeing as a continuation would probably just "undo" the original story's resolution just like THE FORCE AWAKENS and DisneyStarWarsCanon (TM) :roll:

Paul MacLean

#24 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 am I'm still very interested in this. At least it's actual puppets, and Leterrier has a pretty good record all things considered. In this instance I also like the prequel route, seeing as a continuation would probably just "undo" the original story's resolution just like THE FORCE AWAKENS and DisneyStarWarsCanon (TM) :roll:
Yeah, I'm (guardedly) enthusiastic. The characters have a definite "Jim Henson" look and feel to them.

No news on when it actually debuts?
Last edited by Paul MacLean on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

Just sometime next year...Netflix doesn't give out extended release dates typically...they've announced January programming already and it's not on there.

Monterey Jack

#26 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin

#27 Post by AndyDursin »

What's with the "all star voice cast"? Simon Pegg and Harvey Fierstein? Certainly could have saved some pennies by just hiring whoever -- nobody knew, or cared, who anyone was voicing the movie in 1982 (outside the Muppet performers).

Monterey Jack

#28 Post by Monterey Jack »

Hey, if it means more viewers, I could care less. :)

AndyDursin

#29 Post by AndyDursin »

Someone is really going to watch this because Harvey Feirstein is doing voice work on it? I mean WTF lol

Monterey Jack

#30 Post by Monterey Jack »

I only have a problem with celebrity voice casting when it's either distracting (Jeff Goldblum and Sandra Bullock in The Prince Of Egypt both come immediately to mind), or else the celeb in question just lazily does their normal, everyday voice (like Brad Pitt in Sinbad). There are a lot of talented actors contributing voices to this, so I have no issues with it. I'm just happy to see this world being explored again.