Murnau, Borzage and Fox box set-astounding!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Jedbu

Murnau, Borzage and Fox box set-astounding!

#1 Post by Jedbu »

:D This new set from Fox is just incredible. I have been hoping that these films would someday get an home video release (SUNRISE has been out but only as part of a box set and this set includes a print from Europe in the ratio the film was shot in-1.33 as well as the Movietone print ratio of 1.2) and this is the equal of last year's monumental Ford box set. The print quality ranges from beautiful to very worn, but in many cases these are from the only existing prints or negatives. There are two beautiful books of stills-one from the films and one concentrating on the lost :cry: Murnau film 4 DEVILS, which I would give my eye teeth to see.

I have been a fan of both of these directors for years (used to own Blackhawk Super 8 sound prints of SUNRISE and 7TH HEAVEN) and to own these films is the highpoint for me of this year in classic films. I have an R2 copy of SUNRISE-my all-time favorite film, BTW-but it is nice to have an alternative version to examine.

If anyone is interested, I got my set for $108 from a video vendor who gets his sets from Fox. Let me know privately if you would like one by 12/16. If it needs to be shipped it would probably be around $120. This is definitely worth it.
JDvDHeise

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."-Gene Wilder to Cleavon Little in BLAZING SADDLES

JSWalsh

#2 Post by JSWalsh »

If only I had the cash... :(
Last edited by JSWalsh on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

JSWalsh

#3 Post by JSWalsh »

I saw SUNRISE some years back when I was going through a "silent" education. The visuals are striking, of course, but what struck me was how this and many other silents were not stodgy at all. I don't waste my breath trying to convince people to give silents a try, but SUNRISE, Buster Keaton, FAUST, PANDORA'S BOX, THE CROWD and a number of others were not only enjoyable, but I feel I learned a great deal about movies by watching them. I've watched many movies of historic import, (and these were all ENJOYABLE as well), but after watching these I felt I actually understood movies more because I could see where certain approaches originated, and the power of art direction and shot choice.
John

Jedbu

#4 Post by Jedbu »

For me, SUNRISE is film perfection. The visuals are as fresh and gorgeous as ever, and while the characterizations may be more types than flesh and blood, every time I see it with an audience they may chuckle at some of the melodrama but they applaud wildly at the end. My first viewing of the film was a totally silent 8mm print and I was won over completely. I love introducing people to it and seeing their reaction to the visuals.

I am probably one of those extremely rare individuals under the age of 70 who prefers watching a silent film presented properly (35mm, live orchestral accompaniment, large screen) to just about anything made today. IMHO, a film must be VISUAL, with sound secondary. I love a really well put together soundtrack as much as anyone (just see how much I mention DTS in my posts), but with very few exceptions, most directors today either rely on editing to boost a weak script or uninspired visuals or they pile on the sound to the point where a quiet moment to them is under 90db. They don't seem to realize that film is a visual medium first and foremost, and what you do with onscreen space and offscreen space, along with a solid script and actors who give a damn about their performance should be priority. David Fincher is a director who has a fascinating visual style, but until ZODIAC I didn't give a rat's ass about almost anything else in his films because with that film there was more than razzle dazzle in the execution. I'll say the same about directors like Peter Jackson, Brian de Palma and many others who sure know how to give you a visual feast but the rest is just empty calories. Jackson learned on the LOTR trilogy and KING KONG, and sometimes an UNTOUCHABLES comes along to show that de Palma actually realizes that there are human beings in front of his camera.

Unfortunately, most directors today don't think that way. If you want proof, look no further than the latest Indiana Jones movie. There is no love of the audience or the craft in that film and I think Spielberg realized it while making it. Lucas has been in that mode ever since the third Indy movie-the last STAR WARS films make my point.

The silent filmmakers drew their inspiration from plays, books and even real life and it showed. Today many of the performances seem a bit much, but there was a gravitas, a grounding with reality that very few films have today. There were reference points to modern culture, but not the endless repetition that you see in most all media today, nor the almost incestuous relationships that all the various entertainments engage in today. If there was this much 30, 50 or 90 years ago, at least they weren't as obnoxious and in-your-face about it. There were no so-called "tentpoles" for studios back then-there were series films that could stand on their own for the most part but sequels were rare.

A silent film had to be watched-you couldn't turn and talk to someone during the show or you might miss a valuable plot point or fascinating bit of business by the actors. Someone once told me that you could tell when the writer and director of a film knew what they were doing-you could turn off the sound and be able to follow the story pretty closely because of the camera placement and the way the actors conveyed their emotions with expressions and body language. Now some may argue that great dialogue is also necessary and I agree with that to a point. If you are talking just for the sake of talking or having sounds just to show how cool you are, you may as well just do a play-this was the problem of many early talkies when you watch them today. In many of them the camera just sits there while ac-tors recite tons of dialogue that could easily have been handled by a couple of reaction shots or reverse angle shots.

Terrence Malick probably would have done very well in the silent era. DAYS OF HEAVEN has Murnau touches all over it, as do THIN RED LINE and NEW WORLD, and I think Scorsese has the occasional silent film inspiration-just look at the scene in GANGS OF NEW YORK where the door to the outside world is kicked open and we see that incredibly recreated New York city as the camera goes out the door.

Things like that keep me going to new movies with some hope, and I hope that releases of box sets like this one will enable filmmakers today and in the future to see what was/is possible in this wonderful visual medium. :!:

Now if you will excuse me, I will climb down from the soapbox. . .
JDvDHeise

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."-Gene Wilder to Cleavon Little in BLAZING SADDLES

JSWalsh

#5 Post by JSWalsh »

Great post! I'll add something more substantial after I've had time to chew over your points, but while I've never seen a silent flick as you describe above, I definitely get your point. I added my own soundtrack accompaniment to the silents I watched, and it was truly sublime--I felt like I'd stumbled into a room in the Museum of Fine Arts that no one else knew about.
John

John Johnson

#6 Post by John Johnson »

Eureka Entertainment have announced the UK DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of F. W. Murnau’s Sunrise as part of their Masters of Cinema Series on 21st September 2009. This new 2009 reissue of Sunrise contains two versions of the film: the previously released Movietone version, and an alternate silent version of the film recently discovered in the Czech Republic. The Blu-ray edition includes both versions in 1080P (and is the first Blu-ray Disc release of the film anywhere in the world).

The culmination of one of the greatest careers in film history, F. W. Murnau’s Sunrise blends a story of fable-like simplicity with unparalleled visual imagination and technical ingenuity. Invited to Hollywood by William Fox and given total artistic freedom on any project he wished, Murnau’s tale of the idyllic marriage of a peasant couple (George O’Brien and Janet Gaynor) threatened by a Machiavellian seductress from the city (Margaret Livingston) created a milestone of film expressionism.

Priced at £22.99 RRP on DVD (2-Disc Special Edition) and £24.99 RRP on Blu-ray Disc, features are outlined below…
Restored high-definition transfers of two different versions: the American Movietone version, and the silent Czech version.
Original English intertitles on the Movietone version, and optional English subtitles on the silent Czech version.
Original Movietone score (mono) and alternate Olympic Chamber Orchestra score (stereo)
Full-length audio commentary by ASC cinematographer John Bailey on the Movietone version
Outtakes with either John Bailey commentary or intertitles
Murnau’s 4 Devils: Traces of a Lost Film — Janet Bergstrom’s updated 40-minute documentary about the lost Murnau film
Original theatrical trailer
Original ‘photoplay’ script by Carl Mayer with Murnau’s handwritten annotations (150 pages in pdf format)
68-page illustrated booklet with numerous essays including a new reprint of a piece by Dudley Andrew

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/71 ... ember.html
London. Greatest City in the world.

Jedbu

#7 Post by Jedbu »

Eureka's previous release was much more elaborate than the R1 disc from Fox, even if neither one really showed the film in the correct aspect ratio-1.2:1, which should be almost square in dimensions, not full-frame. Don't know if I will get this, unless Blu-Ray is region-free here in the US, then by all means I will get this beauty.

John Johnson

#8 Post by John Johnson »

Eureka Entertainment have announced the UK DVD release of F.W. Murnau’s Phantom & Die Finanzen des Großherzogs as part of their Masters of Cinema Series on 19th October 2009 priced at £24.99. After filming the landmark Nosferatu, the silent cinema’s master innovator F. W. Murnau demonstrated the reach of his genre versatility with a pair of films that explored the dimensions of the psychodrama and the adventure-programmer.

In Phantom, an aspiring poet on the verge of what he takes for a big break experiences a chance encounter with a beautiful woman in the street — and falls headlong into love and fantasy. With debts piling up and his promised literary celebrity failing to materialise, the poet descends into obsession, deception, and, ultimately, a criminal act.

Die Finanzen des Großherzogs sees Murnau exploiting the Mediterranean clime to film the tale of a rakish duke whose lifestyle has dried up his noble coffers. When word arrives about the existence of valuable sulphur deposits on his tiny duchy of Abacco, a comic adventure of high-seas intrigue, “animal impersonators”, and the Crown Princess of Russia unreels at a sprightly pace. Max Schreck (the mythic actor behind the makeup of Nosferatu’s Count Orlok two years earlier) appears in a supporting role.

Features on this 2-Disc set include:
The most recent film restorations from the F.W. Murnau Stifftung, Germany
Original German-language intertitles with newly translated optional English-language subtitles
Audio commentary by film-scholar David Kalat on Die Finanzen des Großherzogs
A lengthy booklet containing a new essay on both films by professor and film-scholar Janet Bergstrom — and more!

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/71 ... tober.html

John Johnson

#9 Post by John Johnson »

John Johnson

#10 Post by John Johnson »

Review of Phantom and Die Finanzen des Großherzogs

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/71 ... rzogs.html

John Johnson

#11 Post by John Johnson »

Through their twitter feed the Masters of Cinema series have announced the February DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of F.W. Murnau’s City Girl in February 2010. The director’s penultimate film is this vivid, painterly study of an impulsive and fragile marriage among the wheatfields of Minnesota.

Features include:
■Restored high-definition transfer of the silent version by 20th Century Fox
■A new score, composed and arranged in 2008 by Christopher Caliendo
■Full-length audio commentary by film scholar David Kalat
■40-page illustrated booklet with new writing and reprints

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/71 ... ruary.html

Jedbu

#12 Post by Jedbu »

This is an outstanding film, and while not in the same pantheon as SUNRISE, any director of that period would be proud to have this film in their canon. The location work is gorgeous, Farrell did his best work in this, STREET ANGEL and LUCKY STAR, and it makes you wish that Murnau would have lived to do some work with talkies instead of dying so tragically.

I assume this is the same transfer that is in the Murnau/Borzage box set.
JDvDHeise

John Johnson

#13 Post by John Johnson »

Updated information regarding City Girl and the MOC series.

“Instead of releasing two editions of every title, we have decided to release Blu-ray only editions of select titles where we have HD 1080p masters. It does not make sense for us to continue producing two formats for each title, which is a great strain on our production capabilities, and sees the two formats competing with each other. Quantities sold of each format have been similar, and we believe the time has come to make the bold move.

DVD, as a format, has been around over 12 years and is extremely easy to copy and download now -- this has been another factor in our decision. In order for us to remain competitive and to grow, we have decided to act earlier rather than later, and focus on the superior format, Blu-ray.

We will be freed up from working on duplicate DVD editions to release more films on Blu-ray, where future sales projections are much rosier and the quality of the product is much greater.” - Nick Wrigley, The Masters of Cinema Series

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/71 ... dated.html

John Johnson

#14 Post by John Johnson »

Jedbu

#15 Post by Jedbu »

Picked up the Eureka! BD of SUNRISE at Amoeba today for about $33 and it is just gorgeous. They had the CITY GIRL disc but only had the funds for one today. Loved the booklet enclosed-gives the detail on the restoration of both the US and foreign versions.

Man, I cannot wait for Kino's BD of METROPOLIS... :D