CLOSE ENCOUNTERS to Blu Ray/STAR TREK to HD-DVD

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

#16 Post by Eric Paddon »

***and it's the first home video release of all three versions ****

I'm a bit perplexed by this statement since those of us who still have our Criterion Laser Discs know that this isn't quite accurate. First DVD release yes, first home video release no.

I actually liked how the Criterion CAV allowed you to combine all the footage from 77 and 80 into a single viewing experience.

mkaroly

#17 Post by mkaroly »

If Blu-Ray fizzles out, do you think Spielberg will release these on HD-DVD, or is it kind of a done deal?

Having spent so much money on DVDs and such over the past decade plus, it frightens me to think that I would not have access to Spielberg films because I don't have one format over the other.

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric Paddon wrote:***and it's the first home video release of all three versions ****

I'm a bit perplexed by this statement since those of us who still have our Criterion Laser Discs know that this isn't quite accurate. First DVD release yes, first home video release no.
I still have my Criterion LD, but to be fair, it wasn't entirely the Special Edition on there -- it didn't have Williams' original end title (heard in the '80 Special Edition, which I quite prefer to the "suite" edited end credits track) and I also believe there was a scene, even in the "'77 reconstruction", that wasn't originally in the '77 release too. I'd have to dig up some info on that and it's a lazy Sunday afternoon so I don't feel like it BUT...I recall reading that at some point.

Admittedly it's a whole LOT easier to just hit "select ___ version" on this disc instead of that irritating way of selecting which chapters to play and which not to. I did it once...and then never had any inclination to do so again! ;)

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

mkaroly wrote:If Blu-Ray fizzles out, do you think Spielberg will release these on HD-DVD, or is it kind of a done deal?
Michael there is no rush to do anything if you are on the fence. If HD-DVD takes off Spielberg's movies will show up there, at least the Universal ones. If Blu Ray takes off big-time the same thing will happen.

I'd wait it out...there's no "done deal" in regards to either one of these formats or their exclusives except Sony releasing on HD-DVD will probably happen...well maybe never, lol. ;)

Monterey Jack

#20 Post by Monterey Jack »

Monterey Jack wrote:Sounds like I'll make this one of my first Blu-Ray purchases whenever I get around to picking up a player. 8)
Well, I picked up a copy at Costco the other day for $14.99. :shock: :D Looking forward to watching it...

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

Excellent deal, I don't think I've seen it that low, ever, online.

Worth every cent!!

Monterey Jack

#22 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Excellent deal, I don't think I've seen it that low, ever, online.

Worth every cent!!
Now, if we could just get some more classic Spielberg titles on Blu... :cry:

John Johnson

#23 Post by John Johnson »

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition) [Blu-ray]

Reduced to $13.49.

London. Greatest City in the world.