1492 on Blu-Ray - Overseas

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

#16 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:
John Johnson wrote:There was also a third Columbus film.

That didn't actually get released outside the UK, did it?
Carry On Columbus (1992) is the last ever film in the Carry On series, following 1978's Carry On Emmannuelle.

It coincided with the production of two serious films commemorating the 500th anniversary of Christopher Columbus' discovery of the Americas. The producers managed to persuade a number of alternative comedians such as Rik Mayall, Alexei Sayle, Peter Richardson and Julian Clary to appear in the film, but it did not achieve any great commercial success and was panned by many critics. However, the film was more profitable than the two serious Columbus films, 1492: Conquest of Paradise and Christopher Columbus: The Discovery.

Original Carry On performer Frankie Howerd was signed up to appear, but he died shortly before he was due to film his role. His part as the King of Spain was offered to original series regular Bernard Bresslaw, who turned it down. Leslie Phillips eventually took on the role, playing opposite June Whitfield as the Queen, a role turned down by both Joan Sims and Barbara Windsor.

This was to be the last film that Gerald Thomas directed, as he died on 9 November 1993.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carry_On_Columbus
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

Well, that link doesn't answer my question, lol.

I know what the movie is -- I don't think anyone outside the UK would have any idea about it since it never was issued on video or played theatrically, at least not in North America.

Variety did mention that Larry Miller had a few laughs as an Indian chief or something like that at the time, though. lol. :D

John Johnson

#18 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Well, that link doesn't answer my question, lol.

I know what the movie is -- I don't think anyone outside the UK would have any idea about it since it never was issued on video or played theatrically, at least not in North America.

Variety did mention that Larry Miller had a few laughs as an Indian chief or something like that at the time, though. lol. :D
I'm not sure if it played in the U.S. You would have to dig deeper to find that one out.
London. Greatest City in the world.