J.J. Abrams's Trek 2 News

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric W.

J.J. Abrams's Trek 2 News

#1 Post by Eric W. »

http://trekmovie.com/2011/02/27/report- ... ago-today/

As we have been reporting here at TrekMovie.com, developing the script for the 2012 Star Trek sequel is now in the final stretch. Now a new report states that Paramount is ready to get things started. This all falls on the four-year anniversary of Paramount officially announcing JJ Abrams’ first Star Trek film. More details below.

Report: Paramount ready to get things going

A new article from our friend Vic Holtreman at Screenrant cites a studio source with a report that Paramount liked the story pitch for the Star Trek sequel and that they are "already willing to spend money on pre-production offices." This report is consistent with TrekMovie reporting, as all indications are that Paramount is bullish on the Star Trek sequel and wants to get things going to ensure they make their June, 29 2012 date.

As previously reported, sequel co-writer/producer Roberto Orci recently said that the writing team (of Orci, Damon Lindelof and Alex Kurtzman) hope to hand in the first draft of the script to the studio by late March, and this week he and fellow co-writer/producer Damon Lindelof spoke about ‘holing up’ in a hotel to the first draft. And on Thursday, actor Simon Pegg said buzz on the script was good, or as he put it "that the "word on the bridge is the new script is AMAZEBALLS", appearing to confirm that insider buzz.

Traditionally films need a script to get a greenlight and budget and to start pre-production, but once Paramount set the June 29, 2012 release date (which they did thirteen months ago) the Star Trek sequel had what one insider called a "soft greenlight" meaning that the studio assumes the film will go ahead even before getting a script. While many aspects of pre-production require an agreed script draft (like casting, designing, location scouting, construction, etc.) there are still things that could be done to lay the groundwork, such as set up offices and possibly lining up the required crew, which is expected to be a close mirror to the team that put together the 2009 Star Trek film.

So things continue to move in the right direction for the 2012 Star Trek sequel, and 2011 looks to be an eventful year for the film moving into to pre-production soon and then production, which is reported to be starting in August.
If trends hold maybe this month we'll see some kind of more "official" announcement like they did preceding the last one. Same kind of cycle.

AndyDursin

Re: J.J. Abrams's Trek 2 News

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Paramount officially set that June 29, 2012 date over a year ago, and the first draft isn't finished yet? Other Summer 2012 movies like SPIDER-MAN 4 are already shooting, much less being written!

Hope that's not a bad sign...unlike a lot of fans, I loved the first movie for the most part, and I'm excited about a sequel, though they can't just go back into "Khan mode" with another villain seeking vengeance. Has to be a different type of story, which makes me a bit nervous. I just wonder if they can tell a Trek-type story that will still appeal to the IMAX 3-D loving young audience.

azahid

Re: J.J. Abrams's Trek 2 News

#3 Post by azahid »

I think the right direction of this Trek sequel to pick up the same energy and drive of the first film. Having established the characters I think the story will also focus on the canon objectives of the original TV series. I d love to see more of "Seek out new life..." approach with a fresh perspective and simulataneously establishing the other key elements of the the Trek universe. And as the new story progresses, devices as such as Klingons, Federation, other alien races and maybe relevant sub plots that may be entwined in future films.