MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Thread

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Re: MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Thread

#46 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:The other thing with MAD MAX -- did those movies "make" Mel Gibson, or did Mel Gibson popularize those films? I mean, they were not $100 million blockbusters in North America. They were profitable, but like a lot of these remakes, it seems some "prognosticators" use revisionist history -- or have just a lack of knowledge -- about what the originals were in the first place.
Wikipedia claims a "US $100 million" gross for the original Mad Max, but that can't be right, as Road Warrior took in about $23 million and Thunderdome made $36 million. Maybe worldwide, and after a few reissues, did the original make that much. And even adding all three grosses together...that's less than what Fury Road cost to produce! :shock: I mean, something like Star Wars or Raiders legitimately were humungous smash hits that appealed to a wide demographic (i.e. everybody). but the Max films seem like the kind of movies that found most of their audience on cable and video rather than in theaters, so why anyone thought dusting off a moribund, thirty-year-old franchise and spending such an insane amount of money on it is anyone's guess. Maybe they thought they'd appeal to the Fast & The Furious car-chase crowd, but those are strictly PG-13 affairs that are more concerned with closeups of jiggling asses than the kind of perverse, hyper-violent excesses of Miller's vision. Then again, Miller is something of a freak when given complete creative control...remember Babe: Pig In The City? A kind of awesome, wildly imaginative sequel...that made peanuts at the box office because parents were horrified at the levels of genuinely distressing peril (and rightfully so...the movie's G-rating was a joke :?). What studio could have read that screenplay, handed Miller over $100 million (the original cost a quarter of that), and said, "Yes, this is exactly what we want"?

AndyDursin

#47 Post by AndyDursin »

Just sad that Gibson can't get better work than Expendables 3 or Machete Kills these days.
I think some of that was due to his off-screen issues, but he looks great in the Mad Max Shout interview, which tells me he's got his s---t together again. Paul also said that he's coming back to "directing in a big way" according to James Horner, so I think he's fresh and revitalized. He must be if he's able to get funding to direct one of his pet projects. Let's hope that's the case, because that would open the door to bigger and better things.

It's just too bad he wasn't where he is now, back when this Mad Max sequel was getting ready.
What studio could have read that screenplay, handed Miller over $100 million (the original cost a quarter of that), and said, "Yes, this is exactly what we want"?
Miller's career, like we've said before, is just SO bizarre. A group of big movies in the '80s, LORENZO'S OIL...then nothing. BABE 2. Penguins. Nothing with real actors in 20 years! He's been more famous for what he DIDN'T make, than what he did!

Monterey Jack

#48 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Miller's career, like we've said before, is just SO bizarre. A group of big movies in the '80s, LORENZO'S OIL...then nothing. BABE 2. Penguins. Nothing with real actors in 20 years! He's been more famous for what he DIDN'T make, than what he did!
PITC's box office flameout might have had a lot to do with that...it's hard to think of a sequel to a beloved film that lost so much money. Why he Pulled A Zemeckis and sidelined his career into weird CGI penguin movies is beyond me, though.

Paul MacLean

#49 Post by Paul MacLean »

Saw it last night. I thought it was a kick, and a terrific popcorn actioner.

But...

This film could have been truly great, if just a few things were different. I thought Tom Hardy was good, but he lacks Mel Gibson's arresting screen presence. Also, I've said it before, but barring Gibson, my personal choices to play Max would have been Russell Crowe or Hugh Jackman. To start with they are Aussies (and to me, Crowe's whole performance in Gladiator always seemed modeled on Gibson's in The Road Warrior).

The character of Max also comes off as a bit superficial. Quick subliminal flashbacks (of a little girl asking "Where are you Max?" and assorted others he appears to have failed to save sometime in the past) don't provide enough of a background or context for the character. The fact that Max has very little dialog does not help either.

Since this is not really a sequel, more insight into Max's past was imperative, in order to invest the character with some degree of depth. There ought to have been longer flashbacks of his former life -- not necessarily a long, developed "co-narrative" like The Godfather Pt. II, but just some brief sequences to explain who he is.

Charlize Theron was terrific as Furiosa, but in some ways she was almost the main character. I think she had more dialog than Max! I don't know if the script was conceived this way, or Hardy's lesser screen presence simply elbowed him out during editing (or if Theron had contractual say over the final cut?) but this further diminishes Max's heroic image.

Toward the climax, Max's own tricked-up Ford Falcon joins in the chase, and Max even says "Hey, that's mine!" Naturally one expects Max to jump into the Falcon and save the day. I was so primed for a moment (like the one in Skyfall) when the character takes the wheel of his classic mode of transport -- in an homage to the Mad Max legacy and that awesome car which is part and parcel of it. That car is iconic and tied to the character, like James Bond's Aston Martin DB5, or Han Solo's Millennium Falcon.

But no such luck. The Ford Falcon is destroyed in the chase and Max takes the wheel of a truck instead. Can you say "lead balloon"?

And the score? Again, were this a just another summer popcorn flick, and not part of a legacy of films (which were all incredibly well-scored) I could have better tolerated the music. But Junkie XL turns-in the usual formulaic, themeless Zimmer-esque pablum, overwrought "power chords", and all the cliches of modern film "music". Heavens, he even uses a deduk! :roll:

How did George Miller -- the man who worked with Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, and inspired some of Maurice Jarre's and Brian May's best work, come to hire Junkie XL?

Still, the film has its strengths. It was great to have Hugh Keyes-Byrne back in the Mad Max movies (and Miller wisely avoids the confusion he created when he re-cast Bruce Spence in Thunderdome -- there's no mistaking Imorten Joe for The Toecutter). Still, I wish we could have seen Keyes-Byrne's highly expressive face once or twice.

The supporting cast was excellent, and the storyline better and more well-rounded than I expected (the scene where they meet the old women was an interesting development). And the action sequences are some of the best ever put on film. George Miller has certainly lost none of his touch when it comes to these types of films, and also proves he's not been surpassed by younger action moviemakers. Moreover, despite the complex mayhem that bursts from every other sequence, the film is never frenetic or confusing (which I can't say about a lot of other action flicks over the past 15 years). Miller's avoidance of CGI except when absolutely necessary is also refreshing.

Fury Road was infinitely better than Thunderdome (the "score" notwithstanding), with better characters, more action (and specifically more vehicular action). The ending was very satisfying, and for me it did have some emotional resonance -- though a real score would really have brought the emotional element (and the overall film) to life far more.

It was a thrill, I enjoyed it, I'll probably buy the Blu-ray...but a few different choices on Miller's part could have easily made this film so much better.

AndyDursin

#50 Post by AndyDursin »

Charlize Theron was terrific as Furiosa, but in some ways she was almost the main character. I think she had more dialog than Max! I don't know if the script was conceived this way, or Hardy's lesser screen presence simply elbowed him out during editing (or if Theron had contractual say over the final cut?) but this further diminishes Max's heroic image.
I blame Miller for all of that. Hardy has been excellent in an array of diverse parts, this movie, to me, left him stranded with a poorly defined character. And that's why he apparently was ticked off at Miller on the set, because Miller was so invested in the choreography of the action scenes, the time he spent with the actors was secondary. As for Theron, pretty sure the role was central from the start, or else she wouldn't have taken it.

It IS interesting to read the stories about how bad the shoot was.

Warner apparently sent producer Denise Di Novi over to oversee production when Miller went overbudget and overschedule:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ive-380010

Hardy mentioned some of these problems as well:
"We were in the middle of nowhere, so far away from the studio system that [Warner Bros] can't really see what's going on, and just getting things to and from the set was a nightmare," he said. "We'd lose half a vehicle in sand and have to dig it out. It was just this unit in the middle of x-million square-kilometres of desert, and then this group of lunatics in leathers, like a really weird S&M party, or a Hell's Angels convention. It was like Cirque du Soleil meets f--king Slipknot."
BTW, excellent review Paul, I also agree on the car, which was basically just tossed aside in the movie. Why even have it in the first place?

AndyDursin

#51 Post by AndyDursin »

Barring some kind of amazing rally, looks like FURY ROAD is going to fall short of the likes of PACIFIC RIM, TRON LEGACY and others. $345 mil worldwide right now, and it's almost done in the U.S. (will eek out $150 million) with only Japan and China left to open overseas.

With a reported $150 mil price tag (and it might be higher), falling short of $400 mil isn't going to be good enough I'd imagine to keep the series going. Not unless they generate serious coin from the home video release and, even then, probably produce a sequel at a much reduced cost.

It begins the question -- WHY did this movie cost so much. ROAD WARRIOR and MAD MAX cost a shoestring compared to FURY ROAD...but then again, maybe that's why George Miller has only directed a couple of movies with live actors in the last 20+ years.

TomServo

#52 Post by TomServo »

AndyDursin wrote:Barring some kind of amazing rally, looks like FURY ROAD is going to fall short of the likes of PACIFIC RIM, TRON LEGACY and others. $345 mil worldwide right now, and it's almost done in the U.S. (will eek out $150 million) with only Japan and China left to open overseas.

With a reported $150 mil price tag (and it might be higher), falling short of $400 mil isn't going to be good enough I'd imagine to keep the series going. Not unless they generate serious coin from the home video release and, even then, probably produce a sequel at a much reduced cost.

It begins the question -- WHY did this movie cost so much. ROAD WARRIOR and MAD MAX cost a shoestring compared to FURY ROAD...but then again, maybe that's why George Miller has only directed a couple of movies with live actors in the last 20+ years.
I think it's a similar situation to the budgets listed for STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE and SUPERMAN RETURNS, in that it includes other expenses incurred over the years, such as previous false production starts. SUPERMAN RETURNS technically didn't cost $200 million its own, they rolled in the expenses from the aborted Nic Cage Superman movie. With FURY ROAD and its extended pre-production and production schedule, I wonder if there were costs still being incurred during the early 2000's for sets, vehicle construction, various crews even though nothing was being shot.

AndyDursin

#53 Post by AndyDursin »

I think it's a similar situation to the budgets listed for STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE and SUPERMAN RETURNS, in that it includes other expenses incurred over the years, such as previous false production starts. SUPERMAN RETURNS technically didn't cost $200 million its own, they rolled in the expenses from the aborted Nic Cage Superman movie. With FURY ROAD and its extended pre-production and production schedule, I wonder if there were costs still being incurred during the early 2000's for sets, vehicle construction, various crews even though nothing was being shot.
I totally know what you mean, but I'm not sure that's the case here. Warner Bros. sent a group of producers over to babysit Miller because the film was going overbudget and over schedule. Plus, Fox was bankrolling the film in the early 2000's, so I wouldn't imagine Warner Bros. would've been on the hook for another studio's aborted attempt at making the film.

AndyDursin

#54 Post by AndyDursin »

It's interesting that this is pretty much "on the bubble" in terms of being able to greenlight a sequel...but I think what's being lost is that it's obviously done well in the U.S. For that reason, SOMEONE will want to fund a follow-up, and that's key. Miller owns the series, and he can shop it to another studio even if Warner Bros. passes on it. They may have had their fill of reboots after VACATION and MAN FROM UNCLE both tanked, but that wouldn't stop someone else from footing the bill if they're uninterested.

Paul MacLean

#55 Post by Paul MacLean »

A friend of a friend posted this link on Facebook -- a comparison of various shots in Fury Road, and their striking similarity to shots in the previous films.

I think the inference of this video is that it's a sign of Miller's ebbing originality; I'd like to believe these compositions were intentional, given that Fury Road is more of a Mad Max homage than a sequel.

Interesting in any case...