THE LAST VALLEY Blu-Ray Coming This June

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

THE LAST VALLEY Blu-Ray Coming This June

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

andy b

Re: THE LAST VALLEY Blu-Ray Coming This June

#2 Post by andy b »

For anyone who has not seen this or unsure if it is worth a purchase, I can absolutely say yes.

Produced by ABC for their film division, it was sadly a massive and costly misfire, for those in the USA it was somehow parallel to the Viet Nam war and for those of us outside the USA it was so poorly handled that audiences literally just missed it. Yes, I was on the promotion team & yes, we really goofed!!! :oops:

I handled this for Rank and we used a 70mm copy for the major engagements in London etc. and despite Michael Caine being popular and Omar Sharif still riding the Lawrence kudos in the UK, the film missed by a mile.

A period drama taking place during the 30 years war in Europe with all its mystic of witchcraft and religious conflicts. The story if you stay for the journey is well worth taking and great performances by all, beautifully shot and the score is John Barry it is his absolute best, it is beyond hypnotic and the main theme that plays throughout just fits the film like a glove.

If you’re on the fence wait for a Kino sale and add it into your basket you will not be disappointed, it is a very underrated film, that truly got lost through poor critic reception and an audience that just did not want that “type of film” and distributors who somehow “got lost” with its product! It did find its home in Europe through television screening, but sadly they were pan and scan copies and the full letter box 2.35.1 ratio is what you need with this film.

A closing bit of trivia for you, Mr. Caine was paid more than Mr. Sharif for this film & as they both stated they were very good friends before, during and after the film, Michael Caine always thought it was amazing he got paid more and while neither got their name above the title, Michael Caine also got top billing.

A visit to The Last Valley is well worth the trip.

Regards
Andy b

Paul MacLean

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

I have the "widescreen" (i.e. 4:3 letterboxed) DVD released in...gosh, was it 1999?

Agreed on the film, which is outstanding, though the DVD did not do it justice. I've wanted to revisit this movie for some time, but simply can't sit through any of those early DVDs.
andy b wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:23 pm Yes, I was on the promotion team & yes, we really goofed!!! :oops:
I'm curious, how do you feel you goofed?

I have to be honest -- I absolutely love the weird, almost "psychedelic" poster illustration!

andy b

#4 Post by andy b »

Paul MacLean wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:45 pm
andy b wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:23 pm Yes, I was on the promotion team & yes, we really goofed!!! :oops:
I'm curious, how do you feel you goofed?

Paul,
In my opinion our Euro marketing made it look like some kind of heavy period war film & Cromwell for Columbia had not gone down too well the year before & our trailers were a complete mess, one tried again to sell it as a war film, expect battles galore & the other (not 100% sure but I think it was from the USA) tried to sell it as a romance!

We just sent out a confusion of direction that really did not tell the kind of film it was. Then again as one fan to another, I even have a John Barry sign display with the UK quad poster image for this, no Barry/ Bond here, how would you categorize the film? I ask as it is curious after all these years & the film having been dealt with harshly then almost forgotten it seems by chat boards it has its fans, but honestly after all these years I am not sure what path I would go to sell this film.

Not sure the USA kind of pop art approach or as you say psychedelic look works & I pretty darn sure our dark armies & swords approach did not work?

But really looking forward to seeing this again in some glory & well done Kino for taking what I am sure would be deemed a risky project, curious as to what the reconstruction is, maybe they found some tops & tails to prints to remove some of the "chopped" editing that took place for smoother transitions? who knows wait & see.

regards
andy b

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

I'll have to ask Nathaniel Thompson, who is on this disc's commentary, about the sources they used. I doubt it's in stereo if they had to cobble it together from a couple of different prints.

Paul MacLean

#6 Post by Paul MacLean »

andy b wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:34 amThen again as one fan to another, I even have a John Barry sign display with the UK quad poster image for this, no Barry/ Bond here, how would you categorize the film?
Hmmm...it's hard for me to classify. It's not really a "war movie", but it isn't really like A Man For All Seasons or The Lion in Winter either. In a way it reminds me of a Kurosawa or Kobeyashi historic drama -- well-acted, and more than just a "talky", but not quite an "actioner" either (despite occasional action).

andy b

#7 Post by andy b »

Paul MacLean wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:22 am Hmmm...it's hard for me to classify. It's not really a "war movie", but it isn't really like A Man For All Seasons or The Lion in Winter either. In a way it reminds me of a Kurosawa or Kobeyashi historic drama -- well-acted, and more than just a "talky", but not quite an "actioner" either (despite occasional action).
Paul

were you in our offices in Wardour Street about 1970? Because wow you hit the nail on the head. Memory serves me well I hope, but there were about 5 or 6 of us, walking out of a screening saying something like "well Caine is big here, in France & Germany, Omar sells well still, but what is it? guys in art have come up with some battle type designs, yes but what about the love story" and so it went on. Also in those days mention Kurosawa & the audience would tell you those black & white sword films are not really any good & all they did was rip off a Fistful of Dollars & the Magnificent Seven!!! yup, do not even think of going down that road to argue!

This film has always been a firm favorite & I met Michael Caine a number of times I always brought it up & he always told me it was one of his & very disappointed in the failure of it.

So I am really looking forward to what Kino have done & again think they have served film fans a true delight & what must of been a risk for them as this film must of been in a mess & no doubt a financial issue as to "who wants it or heard of it"

regards
Andy b