Sony to Distribute Disney Home Video Titles; Disney Movie Club Shutting Down

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
sprocket

Sony to Distribute Disney Home Video Titles; Disney Movie Club Shutting Down

#1 Post by sprocket »

I've been making up my last order at Disney Movie Club Canada as it is closing down at the end of the month.

Currently, everything is 70% off (although S&H is expensive.)

While I'm going to get the exclusives that I still have outstanding, I'm wondering about some of the other Disney releases.

Have they released anything in the last 10 years worth picking up?

I bought The Force Awakens a while ago and thought it collapsed around the half-way mark. I've barely kept track of the new Star Wars films since and what I've heard is bad. Are there any of those movies worth picking up? I heard Rogue One is decent, but that's about it.

Any of those live remakes of animated properties worthwhile from an adult point of view?

Not sure about the Marvel movies, either...

Yes, I've been living under a rock :lol:

BobaMike

Re: Last Orders at Disney Canada

#2 Post by BobaMike »

I have DMC in the US, hopefully it isn't shutting down as well!
I've subscribed a few times, then quit, in order to get a good deal.

May I suggest getting things that aren't available anywhere else? I picked up Honey I shrunk the Kids/Blew up the Kid, Three Musketeers, 20k leagues under the Sea, The Black Hole,etc.

My second go around I used the club to get the good Marvel movies (the newer ones don't bother)

-Skip all the live action remakes- they are not a patch on the originals. As for Star Wars, Rogue One is excellent. Force Awakens a step below that, then Rise of Skywalker, then Last Jedi (worst star wars by a mile). The Solo movie is decent, once you get past the fact it isn't Harrison Ford as solo.

DMC also has Fox titles- I picked up Patton for example...so keep that in mind.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

If the DMC exclusives are there I would go for those if you haven't already like BobaMike just said. Otherwise you are safe to skip anything from the DisneyLucas stable really.

Pretty sure the DMC isn't going anywhere in the USA -- Disney seems to be ending international physical media elements though (like they're supposed to be done releasing titles in Australia) in certain places.

sprocket

#4 Post by sprocket »

Thanks for the feedback, guys :)

Yeah, I'll be concentrating mainly on the remaining exclusives that I don't have yet. The 4Ks are tempting at the price, but its true that I can look elsewhere for them later.

Shame DMC Canada is shutting down because the pricing was always good and it was great to have access to Disney's classic - and not-so-classic - back catalog through the exclusives, but I dont think it was a high volume operation. They dont even ship to one of Canada's largest provinces (Quebec) because of language requirements.

Still a couple of weeks to finalize the order :)

jkholm

#5 Post by jkholm »

The Disney Movie Club is shutting down for good in the U.S. too. Last day to place orders is May 20. All membership agreements are considered satisfied and everyone is a VIP. The Additional Titles discount is 60% and includes the James Cameron 4K titles which are now $11.98 if you buy something at regular price.

I just signed up a few months ago and got several of the exclusive titles. I'd only made one purchase toward my commitment but that doesn't matter now. Have to decide which exclusives I want to get as most are now $10 (as an additional title).

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Yep shows over which tells you where Disney is heading. If you haven't bought stuff like Something Wicked, Return to Oz, Watcher in the Woods, etc. I think that's where the bigger demand will be. Less with the 50s and 60s titles. But at that price the resale value ought to be decent for pretty much anything you might get John.

Also the Cameron 4Ks are sadly hugely underwhelming. Theyre probably worth $12 but Disney sent me codes for the UHDs and they are digitally processed with all kinds of smeary noise reduction. Loads of DNR and ALIENS is the worst offender of them all. Better off sticking with the Blu-Ray on that one for real. They also changed the brightness and made it ridiculously brighter than its ever looked before. TRUE LIES is passable much of the time but then there are horrendous sections with no detail at all. THE ABYSS I spent the least amount of time with

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Surely this has something to do with this also:

Monterey Jack

Re: Sony to Distribute Disney Home Video Titles; Disney Movie Club Shutting Down

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

#DisneySoBroke. :lol:

AndyDursin

Re: Sony to Distribute Disney Home Video Titles; Disney Movie Club Shutting Down

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Someone tell Bob to sell the Fox catalog to SONY stat

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:49 pm Someone tell Bob to sell the Fox catalog to SONY stat
Disney needs the money, and the world needs the Fox library rescued from the Disney Vault. It's win/win...!

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Yep. Mickey Mouse will keep the few Fox franchises they want to pillage, let another studio handle the thousands of other movies we'll have no chance of ever seeing again otherwise. :evil:

sprocket

#12 Post by sprocket »

Hearing the the US Club is closing, I am very glad that I spent my money on Disney exclusives when DMC Canada shut down.

I've yet to see them all, of course, but its nice to know I picked up 95% of these releases while they were available.

I'm watching many of the late seventies/early eighties releases with a friend (Something Wicked, Black Cauldron, Watcher in the Woods, Black Hole, etc.) and we are enjoying Disney's attempts to re-invent themselves. These films have their problems, but they are quite interesting from that point of view.

Its time Disney did that again.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

There were a whole bunch of movies I wish Disney had gotten to -- SNOWBALL EXPRESS (my favorite Dean Jones comedy with a marvelous Bob Brunner score), MIDNIGHT MADNESS (the second "PG" Disney film), TRENCHCOAT (one of those pre-Touchstone '80s Disney comedies that tried to do something different, pairing Robert Hays/Margot Kidder), and NOW YOU SEE HIM NOW YOU DON'T (oddly the only "Dexter Riley" Kurt Russell movie NOT to get released by the DMC) -- but the DMC did manage to get a lot of good titles out there. Just too bad they slowed down as much as they did and basically gave up in 2021.

I agree Sprocket those Ron Miller-era early 80s Disney films are a flawed but interesting lot. Even an all-out Disney family film like LAST FLIGHT OF NOAH'S ARK has some oddball ingredients plus a surprisingly "plush" Maurice Jarre score.

Regrettably it's a corporation that's become utterly handcuffed to the current IP-driven movie model hoping every release hits a billion dollars. And also consumed by brands they didn't create but purchased...and have devalued across the board. It'll take a leadership switch and sea change to get that company off the tracks they're driving themselves into the ground on.