Extended editions

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Sgrimes

Re: Extended editions

#16 Post by Sgrimes »

DAMNATION ALLEY (1977) had extra scenes as well, from deleted original footage as I recall.

andy b

#17 Post by andy b »

Couple more to add

Needful Things - German release on Blu Ray + a possible Kino on their re-issue - Unconfirmed
1941 - both versions are on the Blu ray release

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

Kino's "insider" did indeed confirm the TV version of NEEDFUL THINGS on Facebook. Not sure where they licensed it from because the TV cut was produced by Sony/Columbia and the movie's distribution in the US is through MGM (like MISERY and the early Castle Rock films), but they said they have a 2K master and will be on the 4K UHD they have lined up in 2023 8)

Edmund Kattak

#19 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Regarding DANCES WITH WOLVES, wasn't there a release in the past 5 years that featured BOTH cuts of the film? I am stuck with the EXTENDED edition blu-ray, which I'm not a fan off and prefer the theatrical cut.
Indeed,
Ed

Monterey Jack

#20 Post by Monterey Jack »

Edmund Kattak wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:08 am Regarding DANCES WITH WOLVES, wasn't there a release in the past 5 years that featured BOTH cuts of the film? I am stuck with the EXTENDED edition blu-ray, which I'm not a fan off and prefer the theatrical cut.
The Shout Factory steelbook has the theatrical cut, and is currently cheap.

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

It's cheap so it's worth picking up -- though as one of MGM's (well, Orion's, but you know what I mean!) core Oscar winners I'd expect it to get a 4K UHD upgrade probably soonish. I'd guarantee it'd be the theatrical cut that would be in 4K also (agree Ed it's much preferable to the longer version).

Edmund Kattak

#22 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:25 pm It's cheap so it's worth picking up -- though as one of MGM's (well, Orion's, but you know what I mean!) core Oscar winners I'd expect it to get a 4K UHD upgrade probably soonish. I'd guarantee it'd be the theatrical cut that would be in 4K also (agree Ed it's much preferable to the longer version).
Well for the price, this marks my first "steelbook" purchase. I also used some points to get the price down to $10. This will tie me over until a 4K release comes out some day. It just arrived today.
Indeed,
Ed

Eric Paddon

#23 Post by Eric Paddon »

Bumping this thread since andy b should add the TV cuts of "Beyond The Poseidon Adventure" and "When Time Ran Out" to the master list as they were included in the Irwin Allen set released by Shout!

andy b

#24 Post by andy b »

Eric Paddon wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:06 am Bumping this thread since andy b should add the TV cuts of "Beyond The Poseidon Adventure" and "When Time Ran Out" to the master list as they were included in the Irwin Allen set released by Shout!
Thank you Eric & added Dune as the Koch edition has 3 versions!E
Last edited by andy b on Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andy b

#25 Post by andy b »

hello all

again asking about a TV version.

Halloween had an alternate or TV cut, so again is it worth buying? I have never seen it, as only the cinema version was screened in the Uk.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thank you
regards
andy b

AndyDursin

#26 Post by AndyDursin »

The Halloween TV cut was mostly (all?) scenes Carpenter himself shot during the production of HALLOWEEN II, expressly for the NBC broadcast of HALLOWEEN I. I've always found them unnecessary and slow the movie down, but they do establish that sibling element that comes up in the sequel. One of them is Donald Pleasence at a hearing for Myers early in the movie, I think there's a scene they added with Jamie Lee on the phone with one of her friends maybe too...in any event, not necessary but interesting.