Young Woman & The Sea

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Young Woman & The Sea

#1 Post by Monterey Jack »

This has to be the first original, non-franchise live-action movie Disney's made since...what, Queen Of Katwe, way back in 2016? :shock: Anyways, nice it got rescued from the ignominy of a D+ debut. Hopefully enough people support it in theaters to remind Disney that they can make a profit without having to blow $300 million to do so.

AndyDursin

Re: Young Woman & The Sea

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks like it's just a "limited release" so they can plug some holes in the theatrical marketplace.

The problem with that is that, if it doesn't have "cinematic value," these produced-for-streaming movies show their shortcomings on the big screen. To me THE FIRST OMEN looked like a cable TV movie, especially that last scene, you could tell it was made for Hulu. It had very little visual engagement from a filmmaking standpoint, and putting it in a theater didn't shake the fact that it looked like something I could have watched at home.

It's why I'm worried this Fede Alvarez ALIEN movie is going to be much the same. Made for Hulu, it's probably going to be a mid/low budget rework of the 1979 movie with a no-name cast, produced to hold the budget down.