Red Sun 4K Blu-ray

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Red Sun 4K Blu-ray

#1 Post by John Johnson »

StudioCanal is preparing 4K Blu-ray and Blu-ray releases of Terence Young's Red Sun (1971), starring Charles Bronson, Toshirô Mifune, Alain Delon, Ursula Andress, and Capucine. The twp releases are scheduled to arrive on the market on July 29.

Description: Billed as the first East meets West Western, and directed by Terence Young, RED SUN is based on a true story from the American Wild West of 1870.

When outlaw Link (Charles Bronson) is betrayed by his gang during a train robbery, he is forced by the Japanese Ambassador to help regain a priceless sword stolen by Link's double-crossing partner Gauche (Alain Delon). Link and the Ambassador's bodyguard, Kuroda (Toshiro Mifune), travel the West in pursuit of Gauche, attempting to lure him out by taking his girlfriend (Ursula Andress) as hostage. Although Kuroda plans to kill Gauche straight away, Link needs him alive to find the loot from their last robbery. Joined in an uneasy alliance, they have only seven days to find Gauche or Kuroda must follow his samurai code of honour and die by his own sword.

Special Features and Techncial Specs:
NEW Interview with Steven Okazaki
On the set of Red Sun - Extract from Pour le cinéma (Director: Pierre Mignot © INA – 1971)
Original Trailer
Four collectible cards
Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=34477
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

Re: Red Sun 4K Blu-ray

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

I tried to like this one but had a hard time getting into it. Maybe I will try again in 4K! 8)

Paul MacLean

Re: Red Sun 4K Blu-ray

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

I’ve always liked this movie. Hardly a classic, but I love the mash-up of chambara and western genres (especially as chambras are essentially samurai westerns).

I discovered Red Sun back in the 90s, when flipping channels one afternoon. I’d never heard of it, and was completely flummoxed at the sight of Toshirô Mifune playing a samurai in a Charles Bronson western. 😲 As a huge Mifune fan I had to take this one in!

Casting is a major part of this movie’s allure, as it stars icons of both genres. And frankly I enjoy Red Sun more than some of Mifune’s actual Japanese actioners.

Maurice Jarre’s maim theme is maybe a bit overly-jaunty, the body of the score is more subdued—and highly effective.