Shout Factory Comic Con Announcements

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Re: Shout Factory Comic Con Announcements

#16 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:34 am KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE is absolutely hilarious, provided you are familiar with 70s TV commercials/movies and know what they're spoofing.

Loved it. The "Fistful Of Yen" segment, while hilarious, goes on a bit long, but otherwise I was howling for long segments of this. Amazed it took me this long to sit down and watch it.

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

That segment does drag but still has some moments that make me laugh every time I remember them (the scientists jumping through the glass -- "no, a toy robot!"). The Henry Gibson "death" segment and "Danger Seekers"...easily one of the funniest movies of all-time for me.

Did you ever see THE GROOVE TUBE? It's neither as hilarious or as consistently funny, but it's well worth a look and has some choice moments also. :) (Sadly not on Blu-Ray)

Monterey Jack

#18 Post by Monterey Jack »

I would have preferred the "Yen" segment had it been broken up with some "commercial interruptions". It was frequently funny (and a brilliant spoof of the already-funny Enter The Dragon), but, like MST3K, sometimes you need a little break from the schlock. :P It's just odd to go from a random grab-bag of TV parodies to a full HALF-HOUR of this, and then end with a bunch of random TV parodies. It's like if Grindhouse were mostly the "intermission" bits in-between the two features, and we got half-hour versions of Planet Terror and Death Proof tossed in the middle.

Paul MacLean

#19 Post by Paul MacLean »

I finally got around to buying Dances With Wolves.

I was disappointed to see that the theatrical cut disc has the same transfer as the UK Warner Blu-ray -- and afflicted the same chromatic anomalies in some shots.

After seeing these same issues on the Shout Factory release I wondered if they might actually have been on the original negative (and merely less apparent on VHS and DVD) but no, those shots look fine on the expanded "directors cut" disc.

I supposed I can't complain to much as the Shout Factory release only cost me $15 for a three-disc set. But you'd think they could have done a better job of it. :roll:

AndyDursin

#20 Post by AndyDursin »

Shout evidently just recycled the old Warner Blu-Ray of the theatrical cut available in Europe -- too bad. This is deserving of a new scan.

Good news is MGM is licensing out titles to 3rd parties for 4K UHD treatment so I'd expect DANCES WITH WOLVES could be a viable candidate someone would want to release in the format.