POTC 3

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
romanD

POTC 3

#1 Post by romanD »

so... what do you guys think?

I liked it, but it was way too complicated and too many characters, so it was actually quite slow the first 2 hours. The last 30 minutes make up for everything and bring it all to a satisfying end, but still... I dont think I will watch it again, the replay value is not very high.

Still, a part 4 is very welcome.

The score was fantastic this time! Wow! Hans what got into you?

Effects were great, though nothing special and actually I thought Davy Jones wasnt as good as in part 2 this time. His eyes looked quite fake often...

Spoiler:

Can anyone explain to me why the new Dutchman crew at the end doesnt turn into monsters???

spoiler End

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm going to attempt to get to this tonight. Even Harry Knowles loved the score (and the movie), saying it was easily Zimmer's best for the series, which I would agree with. :)

Some sites say Johnny D. has already signed up for another one. Can't say I blame him. These films have turned out great, they've made loads of dough, the filming locales are gorgeous...good for him!

As soon as I check it out, I will post appropriate comments!

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Major yawn. I'll see this out of duty, but the POTC films are grossly overrated.

tjguitar85

#4 Post by tjguitar85 »

so it was actually quite slow the first 2 hours.
Its longer than two hours? jeez. The first two weren't that long, were they?

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

tjguitar85 wrote:
so it was actually quite slow the first 2 hours.
Its longer than two hours? jeez. The first two weren't that long, were they?
They're all over 2 hours. The second one is about 140 mins. This one is 160 I believe (though that includes probably 10 minutes of credits).

IMO the running time is much ado about nothing. We've become an ADD nation where people can't sit still for more than 5 minutes. If I have to pay $10 to get into a movie now, I'd just assume the movie give me plenty for my entertainment dollar. The more the merrier :)

And maybe the movie IS too long, but I get tired of seeing the same complaint being lodged against any 3 hour film. "Braveheart was too long, Dances With Wolves was too long....etc etc." To me BRAVEHEART moved faster at 3 hours than a lot of movies I've watched at 80 minutes.

The worst thing I've seen was someone reviewing SHREK 3 who said it "sucked" but that the movie "was great because it was only 85 minutes." :?

tjguitar85

#6 Post by tjguitar85 »

We've become an ADD nation where people can't sit still for more than 5 minutes. If I have to pay $10 to get into a movie now, I'd just assume the movie give me plenty for my entertainment dollar. The more the merrier Smile
I prefer longer films, when they are good (e.g. LOTR) I didn't realize the Pirates movies were that long, I thought they were fun entertaining storieis (havent seen aprt 3 yet) but I don't think they're as good as all the hoopla and popularity that surrounds them (much like what happened w/ the matrix)

As for an 85 minute film--yea that is kinda short especially when it costs the same as the longer films. I usually go to matinees so it can be $6-$8 depending on the theater...

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Well I have to say I was hugely disappointed by AT WORLDS END.

Looks to me like they made a big mistake shooting two movies back to back -- all of the good material in terms of set pieces and dialogue was basically in the second film. This one felt like leftovers, loads of exposition, too many characters, too much story, and weirdly, not enough action or variety. The way they disposed of two characters from the first two movies felt like they just couldn't come up with any other resolution for them. Yet at the same time, they introduce Chow Yun Fat, who just serves no purpose being in the movie at all.

And I was let down by the finale as well, which didn't do a very good job wrapping things up either.

Anyway, it's entertaining and has some splendidly wacky moments, but despite all the noise and all the FX, I think they missed the mark in understanding what the focal point of these films is/was/ought to be: and that's Johnny Depp. Give people Jack Sparrow, the ocean, and some clever dialogue (which was on hand in the earlier two installments, and only intermittently here), and most viewers are going to be happy. There's no reason to overstuff their plate the way they did here.

I just think they were running on fumes after the second movie wrapped, and sadly it was evident.

romanD

#8 Post by romanD »

yeah, it really feels like they wanted to create the next LOTR. Why make it so compicated and have som nay characters?
And at the same time kill some off and have a fate for some so they dont need them in a further installment anymore (like in X-Men...)... they only reason to off them is because a sequel would become too expensive with so many stars returning.

Chow Yun Fat was really totally unnecessary and only there to catch some more Asian crowds (though I doubt he is such a big star over there anymore). At least they could have had him in Part 2 already.
also the Calypso thing could have been introduced in the second...

well, I guess like KING KONG I could sit down and could the movies down to my own 2hours cut... :-)

btw, like the guy did with the new STAR WARS movies and did a wonderful job there... I think E2 runs now only 95 minutes and you dont miss a thing... lol

I dont mind movies being 3 hours long, I have no problem with sitting there concentrated and I dont need a break either... but often the movies are unnecessary long... all 3 POTC could have been easily cut down to 2 hours, KING KONG, too... ROTK works fine in the theatrical cut and the EE Cut has good moments, but there are now many scenes whihc could have been taken out... so I would say 15 minutes more than the theatrical cut would have been fine, 40 minutes is overkill.

The new Star Wars... all too long, some of them 2 hours too long... lol...

but TITANIC flies by like nothing, LOTR, too... ALIENS DC...

if it is good, even a slow movie can hold your attention for 3 hours...

recently I watched DEATH NOTE 1&2, a japanese crime-fantasy-thriller, both parts are like POTC 2&3 one story and end up together at almost 5 hours... very simply done movies, but the story was so fascinating and inventive it kept me glued to the screen for the full 5 hours in a row... woah!

anyhow... POTC 3 is way better than MATRIX 3, but has some similar mistakes (like degrading major characters from previous movies to supporting characters, while introducing new ones, we dont care for), still I thought it wrapped up everything very nicely and a BARBOSSA movie would be equally entertaining as a Jack Sparrow movie. Rush is a blast!

And I even liked the little monkey!!!

Eric W.

#9 Post by Eric W. »

Monterey Jack wrote:Major yawn. I'll see this out of duty, but the POTC films are grossly overrated.
Only if people go in expecting anything more than a wild, over the top circus romp.

I love these films myself. :)

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

I didn't have a problem with the running time. I just didn't like the script -- the movie really took a long time to get going, and didn't have enough set pieces.

The second movie had a whole bunch of dynamite action scenes (the fight on the island, the earlier sequence with the cannibals, etc.), and this movie really didn't have any...other than the long, protracted confrontation at the end it was all talk, too many characters and messy resolutions for some of them. The Asian element with Chow Yun Fat could've been cut entirely, it added nothing to the movie at all. It also missed the humor from the earlier two movies (it's not going to help being the most violent Disney-banner released film ever made in the long run).

I just think Verbinski, Elliott and Rossio ran out of gas. The second movie is much better in terms of story and pacing, and this one...the elements did not gel. Even the Keith Richards thing was like "so what" (I don't even think 3/4 of the audience even knew who he was).

As I said, in hindsight it's apparent they would've been much better off WAITING and not jumping right into the third movie. I don't think they had a firm handle on the story and it showed.

Eric W.

#11 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:I didn't have a problem with the running time. I just didn't like the script -- the movie really took a long time to get going, and didn't have enough set pieces.

The second movie had a whole bunch of dynamite action scenes (the fight on the island, the earlier sequence with the cannibals, etc.), and this movie really didn't have any...other than the long, protracted confrontation at the end it was all talk, too many characters and messy resolutions for some of them. The Asian element with Chow Yun Fat could've been cut entirely, it added nothing to the movie at all. It also missed the humor from the earlier two movies (it's not going to help being the most violent Disney-banner released film ever made in the long run).

I just think Verbinski, Elliott and Rossio ran out of gas. The second movie is much better in terms of story and pacing, and this one...the elements did not gel. Even the Keith Richards thing was like "so what" (I don't even think 3/4 of the audience even knew who he was).

As I said, in hindsight it's apparent they would've been much better off WAITING and not jumping right into the third movie. I don't think they had a firm handle on the story and it showed.
Fair criticisms. It sounds a lot like the same issues Spiderman 3 has.

POTC 3 had enough material in terms of ideas, characters, and concepts to be spread out over two films and I also think they would have benefitted by NOT doing a Back to the Future 2 and 3 like production schedule.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric W. wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:I didn't have a problem with the running time. I just didn't like the script -- the movie really took a long time to get going, and didn't have enough set pieces.

Fair criticisms. It sounds a lot like the same issues Spiderman 3 has.

POTC 3 had enough material in terms of ideas, characters, and concepts to be spread out over two films and I also think they would have benefitted by NOT doing a Back to the Future 2 and 3 like production schedule.
Yeah it rarely works out well -- BTTF3 is the exception not the rule -- and it's not nearly as good as SPIDER-MAN 3 either.

Given they started shooting the 2nd movie without a finished script I think it's obvious this story wasn't fully formed here either.

What's more, I got a sour taste out of this movie. The first movie functioned so brilliantly for what it was, this film is a huge step down from that and the second picture as well. Nothing really comes together the way you'd hope it would.

Watchable, not awful, but a disappointment just the same.

DavidM

#13 Post by DavidM »

>>Watchable, not awful, but a disappointment just the same.<<

This is how I felt about Spiderman 3. I think I'll skip Pirates.

Eric W.

#14 Post by Eric W. »

DavidM wrote:>>Watchable, not awful, but a disappointment just the same.<<

This is how I felt about Spiderman 3. I think I'll skip Pirates.
This movie is a bit better than Spiderman 3 IMO.

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

They're going to be hugely disappointed by the box-office this weekend, it's way under expectations. When it doesn't get a bump on Saturday but goes downward on a holiday weekend, that's not an encouraging sign.

IMO the movie's bad vibes are going to really hurt word of mouth.

BTW I'm still trying to figure out what the payoff was from the whole Davy Jones-Calypso thing. The more you think about it, the less impressive this film becomes. Regrettably. :(