CLOSE ENCOUNTERS to Blu Ray/STAR TREK to HD-DVD

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS to Blu Ray/STAR TREK to HD-DVD

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

...will JAWS, E.T., etc. be far behind? (If I were Universal I'd get on the horse asap on that one ;)

Only more good news for HD enthusiasts, with the only downside being the cost -- at $50 retail for a single-disc release you are starting to step into laserdisc-level niche pricing there.

Not a great way to attract the masses IMO, bit maybe Sony can get away with it since it's such a classic film.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/new ... -dvd_N.htm

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

Nov. 13

Details: Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition (DVD, $40; Blu-ray Disc, $50). Includes three versions of the film: the 1977 original theatrical cut, the re-edited 1980 theatrical special edition, and Steven Spielberg's director's cut, released in 1998.

Why it's important: It's the first time a Spielberg movie has been issued on high-definition disc, and it's the first home video release of all three versions

What's new: An interview with Spielberg created especially for this release and a retrospective documentary.

Plus: Only on the 50 GB Blu-ray edition are new "storyboard-to-scene" comparisons and the original 1977 "Watch the Skies" featurette. Blu-ray, says David Bishop, president of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, "will add yet another new and thrilling dimension to this timeless film."

— Thomas K. Arnold, USA TODAY
Last edited by AndyDursin on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

And the official press release on STAR TREK on HD-DVD/DVD Combo...

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070726/aqth076.html

For fans of the original Star Trek series, CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment announced the upcoming release of STAR TREK: The Original Series in a 10-disc HD DVD/DVD combo disc set. The completely remastered edition goes where no fan has gone before with pristine HD audio and video, and exclusive HD DVD interactive features including picture-in-picture video commentaries and an in-depth tour of the starship Enterprise. The combo disc format offers a high definition version on one side for playback on any HD DVD player, and a standard DVD version on the other side for playback on any DVD player. This historic boxed set goes on sale in time for the holidays on November 20, 2007 for the suggested retail price of $199.00.

Eric W.

#3 Post by Eric W. »

Lots of big news this past week thereabouts!

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Apparently that's only SEASON ONE of STAR TREK! :shock:

Talk about expensive. Nobody will be rushing out to be an early adopter, so to speak, with those prices.

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

Will the new CE3K package contain the excellent, 100-minute documentary from the old 2-disc set? :?:

mkaroly

#6 Post by mkaroly »

Andy...lol...you're KILLING my wallet with these postings. I just heard my bank account moan really loud....

GEEZ! :D

John Johnson

#7 Post by John Johnson »

London. Greatest City in the world.

Monterey Jack

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

Monterey Jack wrote:Will the new CE3K package contain the excellent, 100-minute documentary from the old 2-disc set? :?:
Anyone...?

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:Will the new CE3K package contain the excellent, 100-minute documentary from the old 2-disc set? :?:
Anyone...?
The Blu Ray will. I'm pretty sure the standard DVD will also, but don't hold me to that.

The one thing that sounds like it might've been dropped from the new discs are the deleted scenes...we'll see if they materialize but I don't believe I saw them on the specs list for either the standard or Blu Ray release.

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:The one thing that sounds like it might've been dropped from the new discs are the deleted scenes...we'll see if they materialize but I don't believe I saw them on the specs list for either the standard or Blu Ray release.
Great. now I'll have to keep both... :roll:

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:The one thing that sounds like it might've been dropped from the new discs are the deleted scenes...we'll see if they materialize but I don't believe I saw them on the specs list for either the standard or Blu Ray release.
Great. now I'll have to keep both... :roll:
You may not have to. But I wouldn't sell your old disc until you see the new one. ;)

John Johnson

#12 Post by John Johnson »

Looks Like the two extras from the Blue Ray release will be on the R2 version.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=66253
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

From what I gather from Highdefdigest's Blu Ray review, the BD disc has everything and the trailers, at least, are exclusive to it. I don't have either on-hand yet to analyze but that's what they're saying.

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

OK I've gone through the Blu Ray release and read another review on CE3K's standard DVD edition (they did not send me the standard version for review, not yet anyway).

Basically the regular DVD does NOT contain the deleted scenes (i.e. the outtakes not in any version of the movie). They ARE on the Blu Ray release.

The Blu Ray release also includes the still-frame galleries from the 1998 laserdisc release, which were left off the prior DVD. They are also not on the new regular DVD either.

And now for arguably the most irritating part: the documentary is chopped up into THREE DIFFERENT parts spread across the standard DVD's three discs! No idea why they didn't keep it together, unless it was to maintain bit-rate space. (On the Blu Ray release it plays as it did before, as one straight 102-minute piece).

If that makes any sense...

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

Sounds like I'll make this one of my first Blu-Ray purchases whenever I get around to picking up a player. 8)