AVATAR Thread: POCAHONTAS in Space!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric W.

#136 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:
I can't believe Cameron is writing a prequel NOVEL to Avatar. I seriously can't believe it -- the very worst part of that film was the story, the insipid dialogue and characters, and yet he's going ahead because people "want a taste of that world."
I don't know whether to laugh or cry reading that.

Then again, I can't believe how "important" the movie is to some people, how it "means something" to them.
I'm sure you can figure out why that is.
Guess they don't play videogames very often or they could get the same "other world" rush in a more satisfying form of entertainment!
As a recent example: Mass Effect 2, a videogame, runs circles around this thing in just about every which way you could name. It's not even close.

mkaroly

#137 Post by mkaroly »

Eric Paddon wrote:I was one of the inside-out Titanic buffs who was offended by the film for (1) its lack of a decent script and (2) giving us an ahistorical fictional romance centered on characters I really didn't find admirable or likable at the expense of real history and the many stories that made the Titanic so compelling. What shocked me though was that if you expressed this view in Titanic circles at the time, you ran the risk of getting attacked as someone who probably never had a meaningful romance in life etc.
I supported the film for its special effects...the sinking of the Titanic was an amazing thing to watch on the big screen. The story was awful and I thought the characters were so one-dimensional and uninteresting and very un-unique.

John Johnson

#138 Post by John Johnson »

'Avatar' set for re-release

'Avatar' could be heading back to the cinemas later this year.

James Cameron has revealed he’s planning to blast the sci-fi movie back onto the big screen, complete with all-new footage.

Despite 'Avatar' becoming the most successful film of all time, there is a feeling it could have made even more money if it hadn’t been pulled from a number of 3D screens to make room for Disney’s 3D version of 'Alice in Wonderland'.

Director Cameron is said to have around 40 minutes of cuts that didn’t make the final film, including one action scene showing Jake Scully proving himself to the Na’vi tribe, reports Reuters.

Cameron told USA Today, “The wildcard is that we might be re-releasing the movie this fall [autumn]. It's kind of gotten stomped out because of Alice in Wonderland.

"The word we're getting back from exhibitors is we probably left a couple of hundred million dollars on the table as a result. The question is, is the appetite still going to be there after the summer glut of movies? We're going to assess that. We're talking about maybe adding in additional footage and doing something creative."

Cameron is also hoping to re-release 'Titanic' in 3D in 2012, to mark the 100th anniversary of the ship's voyage.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article ... lease.html
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#139 Post by AndyDursin »

Good luck with that.

There is going to come a limit where audiences are going to get sick of paying $16 a pop to watch 3-D movies. It's working now, because it seems to be a gimmick, but it's not going to sustain itself as a viable form of entertainment -- that's just my guess.

mkaroly

#140 Post by mkaroly »

Titanic in 3-D???? Please...no.

azahid

#141 Post by azahid »

AVATAR bare bone DVD/ BLU RAY coming out in 5/22 !!!!!!! Expanded Deluxe edition will come at year end.

Amer

Eric W.

#142 Post by Eric W. »

azahid wrote:AVATAR bare bone DVD/ BLU RAY coming out in 5/22 !!!!!!! Expanded Deluxe edition will come at year end.

Amer
A blatant double dip that everyone should be smart enough to avoid and simply wait for the expanded.

AndyDursin

#143 Post by AndyDursin »

Extended?!? You want more of that movie??! lol.

I will skip all versions...except the one I have to review. :lol:

Eric W.

#144 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:Extended?!? You want more of that movie??! lol.

I will skip all versions...except the one I have to review. :lol:
I should have prefaced with: "For those who care or are interested" ;)

Eric W.

#145 Post by Eric W. »

Not to beat a dead horse here but the more I see and hear from James Cameron...as much as I like some his movies...the less I think of him personally. It's hard to have any respect for anyone that carries themselves like this:

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/audio-ja ... -beck.html

Youtube video is at link

Below, THR's must-listen audio from Alex Ben Block's interview with James Cameron in which the director discusses the right-wing response to "Avatar's" environmental message and repeatedly slams Glenn Beck.

Cameron calls Beck a "f#$%ing @$$****" and says that global warming deniers have "got their head so deeply up their *** I'm not sure they could hear me." And that's just Cameron getting started.

The Fox News host plans to address THR's Cameron interview on his show tonight.
And I'm sure he did and I'm sure Beck's response was far more classy and gracious than what this was, regardless of political beliefs or views on any of this. I'd bet the farm on it.

Here's a part that goes back to something else that some of us have been saying about this movie since it came out.

From the same article:
What had been just another Fox Home Video junket on Tuesday in West Hollywood became more interesting when Cameron was asked what he thinks the conservative reaction will be to the video's environmentally themed promotion on Earth Day.

Cameron was sitting at a table with half a dozen journalists speaking on the record when he blasted those who deny that global warming is a problem, and in particular Fox News talk show host Glenn Beck, on whose show he had appeared. Cameron clearly felt strongly about the attacks on the environmental and political themes in his movie, which he said he put in purposely, and the need for everyone to face the serious worldwide environmental crisis facing us and generations to come, including his own children.

That's called propoganda. I rest my case and so should you, Andy.

Why so angry? Why so defensive? If you're really so confident that you're in the right and the facts are on your side why does it come to this? Hmmm...

The messages in Avatar are so heavy handed and obvious at times you can't miss it. It's a turn off quite frankly. It got in my way of enjoying the film sometimes. I just got tired of it after a point.

This is the same James Cameron that openly bragged in Entertainment Weekly a couple of months back along these lines:

http://whatwouldtotowatch.com/2010/01/1 ... #more-5646

and many other links. It was page 35 of whatever that month's issue was.
EW: “Avatar” is the perfect eco-terrorism recruiting tool.”

JC: Good, good. I like that one. I consider that a positive review. I believe in ecoterrorism.”

Take James Cameron at his word about what his movie really is and what it's all about. I do. He's obviously very proud, deliberate, and defensive.

At best, this is nutjob material when people talk like this.

I'm just sick of politics and propoganda masquerading as entertainment. Any of it. All of it. I'm tired of lack of civility. People can't see things differently and discuss it with civility. This is what you get.

I'm tired of all of it.

I liked Avatar well enough for what it was...even though I think you're left with very little without the great special effects...but the messages in that thing are so heavy handed and rammed down the audiences' throat and the more I see and hear from Cameron himself the more of a bad taste I'm left with in my mouth. It taints everything after a point.

The only kind thing I can say about him is that he's a brilliant film maker. That's it.

Eric Paddon

#146 Post by Eric Paddon »

I do not have a similar view of Cameron's filmmaking skills. "Titanic" is always going to be a movie I have a total revulsion for, and seeing his behavior now only further cements his penchant for kookdom (keeping in mind that he also executive produced a disreputable documentary about the "Tomb of Jesus" that had not one shred of historical validity whatsoever; rather tellingly, he is using the same discredited author for his Hiroshima project).

I too am sick and tired of political agendas in movies and TV for that matter made by directors and producers who are so self-indulgent they no longer make any pretense of acknowledging that a minimum of half the country do not share their particular ideological viewpoints and that they would be better advised to try and make entertainment that can appeal to all ends of the diverse political, cultural and yes, religious spectrum. It's the reason why I won't watch any current fare any longer and feel that I have to confine all my viewing to programs and films with an expiration date circa 1985 at the latest.

Eric W.

#147 Post by Eric W. »

It's like when Tom Cruise went nuts on Oprah and overdid the whole Scientology thing. He still hasn't fully recovered from that whole episode.

That's what this reminds me of loosely before we even get into politics or anything else.

It certainly doesn't want to make me whip out my wallet.

AndyDursin

#148 Post by AndyDursin »

It's just incredible that people continuously read some of Beck's comments but never bother to understand the CONTEXT in which they were originally delivered. Beck makes a joke about TITANIC three years ago and Cameron obviously never heard the joke part, and as Beck mentioned, he carries it "inside" for THREE YEARS before throwing the hammer down. It's actually hilarious but you see this happen all the time when people take the supposedly "inflammatory" comments of a talk show host and use them out of context (you know, the whole "didn't you hear? Rush Limbaugh hates Mexicans!" type of inane comment).

Cameron is so wrapped up in his own success, he can't see the forest for the trees (to use a bad old cliche line but completely appropriate to AVATAR) at this point. I'm just happy even the Academy shot him down this time.

Again, politics and everything else aside, Cameron just truly lost me with this film. Beyond the heavy handed messages, I found the film empty, devoid of emotion and heart. A shame, all the dollars in the world -- and don't forget how much the 3-D bloated its gross -- can't compensate for strong writing...and he is a guy whose past films I have admired.

BTW Beck's dead-on target response is linked here --
http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/glenn-be ... video.html

Eric W.

#149 Post by Eric W. »

Even if all of this were nowhere to be seen...the simple fact of it is (for me): If you take out the special effects, Avatar just didn't have much going for it. I'm in no hurry to place an order for the Blu-Ray and frankly, I don't care if I ever see it again if we get down to it.

AndyDursin

#150 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric W. wrote:Even if all of this were nowhere to be seen...the simple fact of it is (for me): If you take out the special effects, Avatar just didn't have much going for it. I'm in no hurry to place an order for the Blu-Ray and frankly, I don't care if I ever see it again if we get down to it.
It's a patently disappointing film, twice was enough for me (actually once was enough, lol) but I did try it a second time just to see if I was wrong. Ultimately I think the movie's appeal boiled down to two elements: viewers compelled by the 3-D effects and the "world" of Pandora, and others who grafted their own socio-political viewpoints onto the material, thus giving it the emotional connection that it otherwise didn't have. For me, I didn't give a darn about anyone or anything in it.