I've heard a score...that's actually GOOD!!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

I've heard a score...that's actually GOOD!!

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

What's this?!? A modern film score I'd actually want to hear again!?!? You've got be kidding me!!

Seriously, I just sat through the crazy DAYBREAKERS with Ethan Hawke and Willem Dafoe, and I am shocked...in a good way.

I just loved Christopher Gordon's score for this film. Big, orchestral, lyrical, stirring -- one of the best I've heard in a long, long, LONG time. And I'd say almost ALL orchestral. No electronics I can recall...might have been some, but this is a straight ahead, well-arranged, big orchestral score clearly not written in step with most of today's Zimmer clones.

It's got some stirring moments, a lot of dissonant elements at the start but has its emotional sections and the end credits just beautifully wraps up the whole score on an optimistic, even MOVING note. Haven't heard anything like this in forever...and it certainly sounds like the kind of score we'd hear decades ago.

The movie itself -- fun. Flawed. Worth a look, especially given the dead state of the horror genre recently..but the score is a keeper.

Here's the litmus test -- I'm actually buying the soundtrack. Yes, THAT good. :lol:

As for the Aussie Gordon, here's hoping he actually gets work out of this. This score does everything, for example, Giacchino's STAR TREK couldn't do. The thematic material is strong, the dramatic scoring sense is there too -- in a way that brings you back to when movie scores were real movie scores.

Can't explain it much more, but it's just terrific.

Monterey Jack

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

I'll back you up on that, Andy. I even found my hands twiching at my sides, wanting to "conduct" as the end credits cue played out! :lol: Holy crap, THEMES!!!! :shock:

Eric W.

#3 Post by Eric W. »

:shock: Wow. A good score to a current film in the year 2010? Hold the presses!

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:I'll back you up on that, Andy. I even found my hands twiching at my sides, wanting to "conduct" as the end credits cue played out! :lol: Holy crap, THEMES!!!! :shock:
...and put together brilliantly as well. I thought I was watching an '80s movie at times, the score worked like something from 20 years ago.

I bought the CD. This guy has more of a sense of construction and thematic material than Giacchino ever will. Very impressive score all the way around.

Paul MacLean

#5 Post by Paul MacLean »

A good score in this day and age?

Andy, I'd have an easier time believing you if you said you'd been abducted by a UFO! :lol: