Bad News For Upcoming Summer Movies

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Bad News For Upcoming Summer Movies

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Nikki usually isn't wrong about this kind of thing.

Not surprised about DINNER FOR SCHMUCKS (which looks dreadful) and the hideous looking JONAH HEX.

I am surprised about KNIGHT AND DAY, which looked like it might be fun....oh well :(

I hear both Fox's Knight And Day and Warner Bros' Jonah Hex are tracking terribly. As badly as Killers. But it's still a few weeks out.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/june-gl ... -tracking/

The buzz has been "it's not working" on DINNER FOR SCHMUCKS in recent weeks.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/paramou ... -schmucks/

Eric W.

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Nothing to see.

It certainly has been nice on my wallet. My BD purchases and rentals have gone WAY down except for the occasional release of an older movie and such but most of the new stuff just isn't worth a damn.

This correlates along with the film score scene. Equally as dead. 1:1 proportion. All I buy now is the occasional back catalog release.

Good news for my wallet if nothing else. I'm not going to spend my money on a bunch of garbage.

Paul MacLean

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

No big surprise. Most movies these days are awful. They spend too much money on too few films aimed at the lowest common denominator, in hopes of hitting paydirt.

I was watching Silent Running earlier today, with the director commentary, and was struck when Doug Trumbull revealed that his film (as well as American Graffiti) were part of a series of productions in which Universal hired a bunch of young directors and told them "Go make a movie for under $1 million". The studio didn't even interfere with production.

Seems to me its time to try that again, instead of spending $250 million on effects and miscast stars. :roll:

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

It's the middle of June, and I have seeen exactly two movies this summer, Iron Man 2 (a big disappointment) and Splice (modest, but amusing and slick horror hokum). Toy Story 3 is the only movie being relased for the rest of the month I'm authentically looking forward to.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:It's the middle of June, and I have seeen exactly two movies this summer, Iron Man 2 (a big disappointment) and Splice (modest, but amusing and slick horror hokum). Toy Story 3 is the only movie being relased for the rest of the month I'm authentically looking forward to.
I'm not even looking forward to that. I mean, it's Pixar, I'm sure it's going to be a hell of a lot better than SHREK -- but it's still the third entry in that series, which doesn't seem to be crying out for more sequels. And it's in 3-D!!