New JAWS Documentary on Bio Channel 6/16 - 9pm

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

#16 Post by Eric Paddon »

Although in Searls novelization of 2, the idea was that Brody wasn't contemplating a shark as responsible for the death of the divers or the skier. His fixation was on a crooked vactioning NY cop who was also connected with the Mafia interests as being responsible because he caught him shooting at a baby seal on the beach (which Brody then proceeds to take home as a pet for Sean....Awwww!).

Amusingly, in the 4 novelization, Searls even referenced events that only took place in the original Benchley novel (which meant in the 4 novelization, Hooper died and slept with Ellen), yet out of necessity he had to carry over the film only giving Brody two sons (in the Benchley novel Brody has three sons none of them named Mike!)

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

I remember reading the JAWS 4 book months before the movie came out and thinking how good the film was going to be -- only to be crushed at how nothing in the book was in the movie!

It even justified Michael Caine's appearance, instead of "look! it's a shark! let's crash land!" lol.

John Johnson

#18 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:I remember reading the JAWS 4 book months before the movie came out and thinking how good the film was going to be -- only to be crushed at how nothing in the book was in the movie!

It even justified Michael Caine's appearance, instead of "look! it's a shark! let's crash land!" lol.
I think Michael Caine once said
"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." :D
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

He did. That was back when he was starring in a movie every 6 weeks!

AndyDursin

#20 Post by AndyDursin »

Another decent recent book, JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE... A JAWS COMPANION, has some fun interviews and profiles all the sequels in addition to the original. It's not as comprehensive or revealing as the documentaries out there, but it's worth it for fans --

In there they mention that the mafia element was in the Hancock/Tristan JAWS 2, that Brody was supposed to be "haunted" by sharks and seeing them everywhere (more so than the finished movie, where there's only a little bit of that in comparison).

Tristan says Sackler's JAWS 2 script was "crap" that was written out in long-hand (!) and she added various elements (how the shark was killed, the water skiier sequence) and got no credit because of studio politics.

They also reveal Linda Harrison, from PLANET OF THE APES, was supposed to play the icthiologist -- at the insistence of Richard Zanuck, her husband.

That didn't happen -- nor did Sheinberg's idea that HIS wife, Lorraine Gary, be on the boat for the climax of the movie!

Eric Paddon

#21 Post by Eric Paddon »

Linda H. was also who Zanuck wanted to play Ellen in the original, only to be aced out by Sheinberg pushing his wife (though Spielberg claimed to have been impressed by Gary's performance in the Kojak pilot movie). To make up for that, Linda H. got her "Augusta Summerland" billed role in "Airport 1975."

Obviously, we now know that Sheinberg had been obsessed with getting his wife into the bigger action a decade before Jaws 4!

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

Tristan described Harrison as "Zanuck's wife and a terrible actress" and Gary as "Sheinberg's wife and a mediocre actress." I'd say that's probably pretty accurate, lol...Harrison's best work was when she couldn't talk (and she was positively dreadful even in the few scenes she had in COCOON).

To be fair I always felt Gary was quite good in that part, but I also don't doubt that it helped to be Sid's wife!

Eric Paddon

#23 Post by Eric Paddon »

Yes, I'd have to say that Linda H. never could make much of a better impression than she did as Nova! :) And even when she had her one word in "Beneath" it kind of came out forced!

Gary was indeed at best, mediocre, the type you could handle as a minor guest shot character in Universal TV shows of the day (which she did a lot of) but not as a major character in a theatrical film.

DavidBanner

#24 Post by DavidBanner »

I thought Gary was actually quite good in the first JAWS, but then I thought they were all good.

The performances in the second film seemed a bit listless to me, but the whole of JAWS 2 really feels kind of tired when I watch it these days.

I have never watched JAWS 4, and I don't feel I have missed anything from the clips I have seen.

The only part of JAWS 3 I've ever really seen is Louis Gosset Jr screaming at the window before it breaks. Truly a hilarious moment...

AndyDursin

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

Scheider looked "pissed off" in JAWS 2 for lack of a better term. That moment in the original JAWS where he FINALLY breaks loose and screams at Quint is the level he plays the entire movie in JAWS 2 -- I'm guessing it probably had something to do with how irritated he was shooting in Florida and all the behind the scenes shenanigans.

Interestingly on that E! special he had positive things to say about JAWS 2, and I have to confess I rather like the movie a great deal. Sure it's no classic and not nearly in a league with the first movie, no question, but there's a sense of fun about the film -- and Williams' score, for me, is one of his all-time best. Gorgeous, thematic, more colorful than even the original JAWS score -- I watch the movie for the music alone. Plus I confess I grew up with the movie and have a real soft spot for it, the young supporting players (very amusing) and the like.

One scene I wish they had left in from the TV version of the sequel is when Mayor Vaughn votes to NOT fire Brody. After all they went through in the first film I felt it was a nice scene of character progression, so I didn't quite get why that scene was trimmed.

Eric Paddon

#26 Post by Eric Paddon »

And they also left out the precursor to that when the town meeting is taking place before Brody's arrival and Vaughn, with a sick look on his face at one point says pleadingly, "Brody's a good man." It was indeed a nice bit of character growth because the usual cliche I think would have been to just have him unchanged at all from the first film.

Monterey Jack

#27 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Interestingly on that E! special he had positive things to say about JAWS 2, and I have to confess I rather like the movie a great deal. Sure it's no classic and not nearly in a league with the first movie, no question, but there's a sense of fun about the film -- and Williams' score, for me, is one of his all-time best. Gorgeous, thematic, more colorful than even the original JAWS score -- I watch the movie for the music alone. Plus I confess I grew up with the movie and have a real soft spot for it, the young supporting players (very amusing) and the like.
I like Jaws Too 2. :wink: Seriously, take away that it's a crass, money-grubbing sequel to one of the most perfect blockbuster entertainments of all time, and you're left with a pretty solid thriller in and of itself. And Williams' score is just sublime, both in the film and on CD (the "End Title, End Cast" finale is gorgeous). Now, Jaws 3D and Jaws: The Revenge... :shock:

mkaroly

#28 Post by mkaroly »

I never much cared for JAWS 2, but Williams' score is infectious and beautiful....one of his best of the 70s...but honestly his output in the 70s is incredible all around.

AndyDursin

#29 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:I like Jaws Too 2. :wink: Seriously, take away that it's a crass, money-grubbing sequel to one of the most perfect blockbuster entertainments of all time, and you're left with a pretty solid thriller in and of itself. And Williams' score is just sublime, both in the film and on CD (the "End Title, End Cast" finale is gorgeous). Now, Jaws 3D and Jaws: The Revenge... :shock:
JAWS 3-D worked OK in 3-D...it was kind of fun in theaters...obviously without it there's not much there to enjoy, though it does have a cute Lea Thompson in a bathing suit, pre-BTTF. And the score is OK.

JAWS THE REVENGE...LOL...I was SO excited to see it, and then so crushed when it came out. What a disappointment! Just a what were they thinking kinda deal. Seriously. How did they even go into production with that concept??? Did the screenplay read that badly? The writer and director had done some acclaimed TV work, and then...bleh.