Desplat eager to incorporate Williams' Potter theme

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

Desplat eager to incorporate Williams' Potter theme

#1 Post by Paul MacLean »

Harrypotterspage.com has an interesting quote from Alexandre Desplat where he expresses his desire to incorporate John Williams Harry Potter theme more extensively than the previous composers have...

http://www.harrypotterspage.com/2010/06 ... is-summer/

Alexandre Desplat Starts DH Soundtrack this Summer

Posted by Dijares On June - 9 - 2010

French film site Cinézik got a chance to speak with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows composer Alexandre Desplat during this year’s Cannes Film Festival. During the interview, they asked him when he was going to start composing the film in which he answered that he’ll begin this summer. He also said he hopes to expand on John Williams’ original score as he feels it was under utilized. Here’s what he had to say:
When will you be working on HARRY POTTER?

We will start this summer, it will take me all summer, I will not have many holidays, but again it’s for good reason, for the soundtrack. I would take every opportunity to use the fabulous theme written by John Williams, I’d say it is not sufficiently used in the latest movies, so if I have the opportunity and if the footage will allow me, I will arrange it, turn away the theme… Well, I have no obligation to use it but I shall make it with great honor and pleasure.

I still hang on to the hope that part II will be scored by John Williams, but Despat's apparent respect for Williams' music is an encouraging sign.

By the way, notice how the celebrations for the opening of the Wizarding World in Orlando featured an appearance by John Williams, not Patrick Doyle or Nicholas Hooper...

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

I just can't get excited over either this movie or Desplat scoring it. Some people are in love with the guy, I just don't hear anything there that captivates my tastes...but I am at least happy he's going to incorporate Williams' themes more. You'd think a hack like Nicholas Hooper would've at least gone to the well there and utilized Williams' classic themes, but instead he wrote a bland, boring pair of scores that sounded like mediocre British TV music. Blah!

Paul MacLean

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:I just can't get excited over either this movie or Desplat scoring it. Some people are in love with the guy, I just don't hear anything there that captivates my tastes...
I'm not a huge fan of his either. Barring John Williams, the best choice for these films is George Fenton (who has written a good deal of the ONLY memorable film/TV music of the past decade). Oh well.

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:I just can't get excited over either this movie or Desplat scoring it. Some people are in love with the guy, I just don't hear anything there that captivates my tastes...
I'm not a huge fan of his either. Barring John Williams, the best choice for these films is George Fenton (who has written a good deal of the ONLY memorable film/TV music of the past decade). Oh well.
I would have liked to have seen Fenton as well. A truly under appreciated and woefully overlooked composer.