ARTHUR - No longer a Drunk

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

ARTHUR - No longer a Drunk

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

What the hell. Seriously.

Political correctness be damned -- this movie looks like utter crap.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Arthur-T ... 23099.html

Eric W.

Re: ARTHUR - No longer a Drunk

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Terrible.

DavidBanner

#3 Post by DavidBanner »

I have one reason to appreciate the release of this new film, which I really don't think I'll ever see.

They're releasing the 1981 original on Blu-ray in a couple of months, and I can finally upgrade from my VHS copy (which I taped from the Z channel in early 1986, so it's a little long in the tooth now.) I never picked up the earlier DVD of the movie because I don't think it was offered in anamorphic format, and it was an early title. There don't seem to be any extras for the new release either, but at least it will be a nice presentation of a great movie. And when you think about it, with the writer/director and both stars of the movie long gone, I have no idea what extras they really could provide. I suppose they could have had Bud Yorkin or someone do a commentary, but it's not the same thing. And maybe there were some deleted scenes, but I'm just happy with what they chose to put in the movie.

On an off topic, I'd love to see Warner Bros. issue a Blu-ray or a better DVD of Hooper, but I'll probably be waiting for that until it pops up on MOD, right?

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

I am a big fan of the original ARTHUR...a great film, with a great lead performance (actually several terrific performances), strong writing and a wonderful score.

ARTHUR 2 is unquestionably one of the worst sequels ever made, but I'd even sit through it again as opposed to the pain of watching this pitiful looking remake. lol. 8)

But it's been the same with CLASH OF THE TITANS and others -- the only good thing about a remake is we get the original on Blu-Ray. Hopefully FRIGHT NIGHT will follow suit.

DavidBanner

#5 Post by DavidBanner »

Which would mean you would get "Fright Night...For Real!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I happen to love the original Arthur. There are too many good scenes in there to count, and too many good performances that are modulated just well enough to not accidentally steal the show. Everything from Stephen Elliott's lovingly murderous Burt to Barney Martin's pathetic Ralph to Geraldine Fitzgerald's dominant Martha is just a pleasure. The movie really is just a lot of fun, and I'll be happy to have a good HD copy of it. I seriously doubt I'll pay any attention to Arthur 2.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

I have a new appreciation for Dudley Moore after rewatching 10 on Blu-Ray last month. I'm looking forward to seeing ARTHUR in HD in April :)

BTW, Friday Music is releasing the soundtrack -- first CD release in the U.S. ever -- in the next few weeks...

http://www.fridaymusic.com/releases/soundtrack.html