Weekend Box Office 11/4 -

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Weekend Box Office 11/4 -

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Good openings for WRECK-IT RALPH and FLIGHT, which was only on 1900 screens.

So much for the Russell Crowe "kung fu actioner" MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS, which tanked...

1. Wreck-It Ralph 3D (Disney) NEW [Runs 3,752] PG
Friday $13.4M, Weekend $50.2M

2. Flight (Paramount) NEW [Runs 1,900] R
Friday $8.0M, Weekend $23.6M

4. The Man With The Iron Fists (Universal) NEW [Runs 1,868] R
Friday $3.0M, Weekend $7.6M

3. Argo (Warner Bros) Week 4 [Runs 2,774] R
Friday $2.9M, Weekend $9.4M, Cume $75.1M

5. Taken 2 (Fox) Week 5 [Runs 2,639] PG13
Friday $1.8M, Weekend $5.7M, Cume $125.4M

6. Cloud Atlas (Warner Bros) Week 2 [Runs 2,013] R
Friday $1.5M (-56%), Weekend $4.8M, Cume $17.9M

7. Paranormal Activity (Paramount) Week 3 [Runs 3,006] R
Friday $1.4M, Weekend $4.0M, Cume $49.3M

8. Hotel Transylvania (Sony) Week 6 [Runs 2,922] PG
Friday $1.1M, Weekend $4.2M, Cume $137.3M

9. Silent Hill: Revelation (Open Road) Week 2 [Runs 2,933] R
Friday $1.0M (-70%), Weekend $2.9M, Cume $13.6M

10. Here Comes The Boom (Sony) Week 4 [Runs 2,314] PG
Friday $1.0M, Weekend $3.4M, Cume $35.4M

Monterey Jack

Re: Weekend Box Office 11/4 -

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:So much for the Russell Crowe "kung fu actioner" MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS, which tanked...
Considering it cost only $15 million to make, I'm sure it'll break even theatrically and make a decent profit with foreign box office and home rentals factored in. Flight also cost supposedly only $30 million to make, which means it should make a decent profit. Makes you wonder why Hollywood insists that EVERY THIRD MOVIE cost $200 million... :?

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:So much for the Russell Crowe "kung fu actioner" MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS, which tanked...
Considering it cost only $15 million to make, I'm sure it'll break even theatrically and make a decent profit with foreign box office and home rentals factored in. Flight also cost supposedly only $30 million to make, which means it should make a decent profit. Makes you wonder why Hollywood insists that EVERY THIRD MOVIE cost $200 million... :?
True, though comparatively speaking, FLIGHT will end up doing a heck of a lot better than MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS. They're both on the same amount of screens this weekend -- FLIGHT did $23 million vs. $7 million for a washed up Russell Crowe kung fu movie -- and I guarantee the Denzel-Zemeckis movie will play for weeks to come (reviews were excellent) whereas The RZA's vanity project will take a 65%+ drop and fee from theaters as soon as the next CGI kiddie flick comes out. lol.

Still, like you said, it only cost $15 million (good thing it did too!). Just ask the Wachowskis and Warner Bros. who bankrolled CLOUD ATLAS! Massive write-off there. :lol:

jkholm

#4 Post by jkholm »

Did anyone see Wreck-it-Ralph? How dependent is the movie on the audience getting the video game references?

-John

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

jkholm wrote:Did anyone see Wreck-it-Ralph? How dependent is the movie on the audience getting the video game references?

-John
I didn't see it, but from what I've read, it's not dependent whatsoever. I wouldn't imagine Disney making a film so into old videogames they'd turn off their core audience of young kids. Probably one of those situations where adults will get the references but they're not essential to enjoying the picture.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

I greatly enjoyed Wreck-It Ralph. Of course, I was a hardcore gamer back in the 80's and very early 90's (the NES was my console of choice, as well as the occasional visit to the arcade), but the film, like Scott Pilgrim vs. The World a few years back, doesn't absolutely require an encyclopedic knowledge of video games to enjoy. It would allow you to appreciate the barrage of in-jokes (even the "Konami Code" makes an appearance), but the basic core of the story (bad guy yearns to be good) can be enjoyed by anyone. And the animation is spectacular, ranging from 80's 8-bit graphics to state-of-the-art modern day CGI. Very entertaining film, and the "Paperman" short before the feature is lovely. I didn't see it in 3D, but from what I've gathered on another forum, it's not really worth the extra five bucks.