New Image from Power of The Dark Crystal...

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

New Image from Power of The Dark Crystal...

#1 Post by Paul MacLean »

The "Book of Habidad" (a fan site devoted to The Dark Crystal) has a still image of Kira, as she appears in the new film...

http://habidabad.com/news.htm

As a fan of the film, I'm encouraged -- at least it looks like the visual style from the original film is being retained. And IMDB lists Trevor Jones as scoring the film.

So far so good!

Paul

Eric W.

Re: New Image from Power of The Dark Crystal...

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote:The "Book of Habidad" (a fan site devoted to The Dark Crystal) has a still image of Kira, as she appears in the new film...

http://habidabad.com/news.htm

As a fan of the film, I'm encouraged -- at least it looks like the visual style from the original film is being retained. And IMDB lists Trevor Jones as scoring the film.

So far so good!

Paul
Indeed. :)

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

"Looks like Gelfling! Smells like Gelfling!"

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

You should check out the Henson Company's MIRRORMASK, which I reviewed this week. Very eclectic film, not for all tastes, but with some amazing visuals that mix CGI and live-action/puppets.

I assume MIRRORMASK's style and modest budget are exactly what they'll be shooting for with POWER OF THE DARK CRYSTAL.

Paul MacLean

#5 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:You should check out the Henson Company's MIRRORMASK, which I reviewed this week. Very eclectic film, not for all tastes
No argument here!

I saw this earlier this week. As they used to say in Laugh-In, "very interesting". Imaginitive visuals, but a little TOO "out there", at least for me. Visually it reminded me a lot of Gilliam (who I do like -- his older stuff anyway) -- surreal imagery, and use of bizarre, run-down real-world locations.

Stephanie Leonidas was extraordinary (not to mention adorable) and really carried the film. She could be the next Helena Bonham Carter or Kira Knightly if she gets the right breaks.

Its also worth adding that Mirrormask is not afflicted by the stilted acting which can result from actors working on a bare "green screen" stage (i.e. Sin City, Revenge of the Sith).
AndyDursin wrote: I assume MIRRORMASK's style and modest budget are exactly what they'll be shooting for with POWER OF THE DARK CRYSTAL.
I'm sure your right -- Power of the Dark Crystal will certianly lean heavily on CGI for most of its landscapes and sets. Tho I hope its visual style will be a little more like the original Dark Crystal than Mirrormask!

Paul