THE PREDATOR - September - "Loud" and "Senseless"

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: THE PREDATOR - September - Real "Predator" Scrubbed From Final Cut

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

Wonder what this was like before the reshoots. Apparently it's a mess with a crazy climax (that was likely added on) -- whether you find it appealing or not is going to be up to personal taste I'm sure.
The Predator” lands between “The Last Boy Scout” and “Iron Man 3,” being a mixture of the flippant-knucklehead-machismo species with frantic comic-book action. Though there’s gore and creatures aplenty, say goodbye to any remaining horror element in this series. Now we’ve got a sort of mashup of Indiana Jones, “Jurassic Park,” and a flying-kung-fu movie, no longer scary in the least but hella loud and busy.

For an entry that can’t take itself seriously for a minute (excluding the inevitable mawkish half-minute of affirming “it’s about family”), this one doesn’t actually seem to have a humorous angle on its source material. Like everything else here, it tosses out its dumb yucks and rare good Iines with pummeling haste audiences don’t have time to groan before the next explosion or stunt fall or CGI effect usurps their place.

It’s an exhaustingly energetic mess in which a coherent plot and credible characters aren’t even on the cluttered menu. When general audiences queue up for the onslaught (the film opens a week after its Toronto Film Festival premiere), they may well resent being so crassly pandered to. Then again, they may lap it up.
https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/t ... 202931727/
While there have been a handful of amusing moments in the Predator franchise as a whole, no single film goes for as many wall-to-wall jokes as Shane Black’s The Predator...Anyone worrying that Black wouldn’t bring his trademark quips and witticisms to the script (the trailers have been considerably light on this element) need worry no more: The Predator is loaded with jokes. In fact, there might be too many jokes."
https://www.slashfilm.com/the-predator-review/
The last half-hour is not only choppily executed at a breakneck pace, it just looks bad to boot. The visual effects take a noticeable dip in quality during an aerial battle and the climactic showdown is too easily resolved given all the buildup.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/07 ... tor-review

AndyDursin

Re: THE PREDATOR - September - "Loud" and "Senseless"

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

It's curious reading these stories about actress Olivia Munn's #metoo crusade to get Black's friend scrubbed from the film -- and how the cast was "slow to react" to her quest:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peo ... 248252002/

Without going into how or why this guy was in the film to begin with, perhaps because all the publicity has to do with her and this issue, are the reasons she feels "alienated"? A lot of people worked on this film and are probably hoping it does well. Instead, nobody is talking about the film in the media -- and instead are talking about her and her "courageousness" getting this scene deleted.

Did she know about this weeks/months ago and did nothing until the last minute to maximize publicity? Sorry if I sound cynical but these things rarely happen without having been planned, utilizing PR campaigns and such to maximize the effect. She has always been self-absorbed and pretty much clueless in general -- back when she was on TechTV's gaming shows, people thought she was the ultimate "nerd goddess" when really she was playing a part and reading off a script. More over, didn't she make a movie with Bryan Singer?? Apparently she didn't want to make an issue out of him.

There's also the issue that, unlike a lot of unprosecuted creeps like Weinstein, this guy was convicted and did his time. Does he deserve the right to work again -- even if it's a couple of scenes? I guess Olivia Munn doesn't think so.

Monterey Jack

#18 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:24 am Did she know about this weeks/months ago and did nothing until the last minute to maximize publicity? Sorry if I sound cynical but these things rarely happen without having been planned, utilizing PR campaigns and such to maximize the effect.
This is akin to the American Flag "controversy" surrounding First Man...the "outrage" seems artificially-inflated just to get the movie on people's radar a month in advance. :roll: It's a Boy Who Cried Wolf misuse of the whole #MeToo movement that's just going to make actual grievances from actresses be ignored in the long run if they keep abusing it like this.

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:44 am
AndyDursin wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:24 am Did she know about this weeks/months ago and did nothing until the last minute to maximize publicity? Sorry if I sound cynical but these things rarely happen without having been planned, utilizing PR campaigns and such to maximize the effect.
This is akin to the American Flag "controversy" surrounding First Man...the "outrage" seems artificially-inflated just to get the movie on people's radar a month in advance. :roll: It's a Boy Who Cried Wolf misuse of the whole #MeToo movement that's just going to make actual grievances from actresses be ignored in the long run if they keep abusing it like this.
I've noticed the flag now shows up in the ad for FIRST MAN, maybe it always did and I didn't notice. I wrote before, and I agree, that I wonder if it wasn't some ginned-up talk to generate publicity from the get-go.

Munn doesn't come off well in interviews anyway, but she is not a good spokesperson for that movement, to say the least.

Eric W.

#20 Post by Eric W. »

So...mediocre dreck as expected, all summed up.

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

Basically. Whenever you have to reshoot an entire "final act" to a movie (as they apparently did here), that's never a good sign. Curiously most of the reviews point to how lousy the later stages of the movie are -- which makes you wonder, was it actually worse to begin with? Or did they make it worse?

I have the unfortunate feeling this is going to have a hard time even outgrossing PREDATORS, or will end up in exactly the same financial territory.

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

Black is taking it on the chin, some of the general reviews coming out today are calling it a total disaster and that the comedy indicates he didnt take the rilm very seriosusly.

Monterey Jack

#23 Post by Monterey Jack »

When has Black EVER taken a film seriously? That's what all of his films as a screenwriter and/or director have felt like. He's always smirking at cinema clichés.

AndyDursin

#24 Post by AndyDursin »

True but this is a weird spot to try lots of comedy along with excess gore. Either way I am not paying to see it!

Monterey Jack

#25 Post by Monterey Jack »

I got an $8.00 ticket when I bought the Predator triple-pack on Blu-Ray, so I'll only be spending $3.25 out-of-pocket to see this.