RIP Roger Moore

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

RIP Roger Moore

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

A gentleman, an erudite author (his Bond books and autobiographical accounts are quite fun), and a fine James Bond when the series enabled him to be. Also the 007 I grew up with as well.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-n ... 9-10482929

Eric Paddon

Re: RIP Roger Moore

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

It's amazing how more than 55 years after Bond-mania began only now do we have to mark the passing of one of the men to play Bond.

Moore was the first 007 I experienced and while in time I came to recognize that Connery set the standard and his films were superior films, Roger made the part his own and better fit the times when Bond films needed to be more escapist and without any of the cynical rougher edges that Connery brought to the role (plus, Connery's rough machismo typified by his behavior in the opening reel of "Thunderball" was *really* out of favor in the 70s).

Moore I felt was subjected to a LOT of unfair bashing in the early 80s, mostly from Bond "purists" who also kept gushing over Kevin McClory's attempts to get Connery to do one more film that it led to a point where after NSNA came out, Moore quipped how the worst notices he ever got from critics came for a film he was never in! But the irony is that Moore proved that year in "Octopussy" that the part was his by that point and he gave the better 007 performance. The unfortunate thing is he should have gone out on top then and not stayed around for one more film because "View To A Kill" was one of the worst in the series. If the film had been better script wise and had a better Bond girl, it might have covered up Moore's deficiencies but unfortunately the badness of the film in other areas only highlighted why it was time to step down.

Having to follow someone wasn't new to Moore as he'd been thrust into the same position years earlier on "Maverick" when while working for Warners as a contract player they forced him into the show as Cousin Beau Maverick after James Garner walked off. Moore felt the quality of the scripts were not good (many recycled) and he left after one season but I recently watched most of them on DVD and I have to say he did very good and at least created a distinctive character of his own for the Maverick mythos. I'm hoping his earlier Warner series "The Alaskans" will make it to DVD soon (I've only seen a few episodes of "The Saint").

RIP Roger and thanks for the great legacy to the phenomenon of James Bond.

Paul MacLean

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

I grew up watching Connery on TV, but seeing Moore in the cinema, so he was my "theatrical" Bond.

His films could be goofy (a bit too goofy for me at times) but they were always very entertaining (especially TSWLM and Moonraker).

Connery and Craig are purveyors of brute strength, but Moore's Bond was the gent -- the Etonian schoolboy, elegant, refined, always ready with a glib remark -- but able to use his fists as well.

He was equally great as Simon Templar, and also in his (too brief) role in The Persuaders.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

First Bond movie I ever saw at the age of nine was Octopussy, so Moore was my first 007 as well. While some of his films were stinkers, he was always the best element of them, with his dry delivery making some awfully adolescent quips go down easy. Yeah, he played the role for FAR too long, but Moore is still one of the most memorable Bonds, and the character would not have survived the 70's were it not for his charm holding together the shakier installments. Goodbye, Mr. Bond... :(

andy b

#5 Post by andy b »

What an absolute gentleman.

Worked with him on A View To A Kill, Shout At The Devil, Octopussy and The Wild Geese. Then a few years ago I was with him for a book tour he did for a James Bond book, he always had time for fans & was so gracious all the time, would stop for pictures with people, you name it he was there for the fans 100%.

When I worked with him, he was so polite & so grateful for anything that was done for him, everything began with a "please" & finished with a "thank you" & had a wonderful sense of humour.

Sadly we all pass, but when they are so genuinely nice, it somehow seems sadder. I am sure like every human he had some off days, but I never once saw it & in fact the opposite, watched him go out of his way to cheer up others!

Amazing person who took fame as a gift and not for granted.

RIP Sir Roger you gave us hours of entertainment.

regards
Andy b

mkaroly

#6 Post by mkaroly »

RIP Roger - thank you for the Bond films you made and for being a class act on and off screen.

Eric W.

#7 Post by Eric W. »

A lot of wonderful comments in this thread that I really can't add anything meaningful to them.

Another loss for us here to be sure.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

andy b wrote:Amazing person who took fame as a gift and not for granted.

regards
Andy b
Wonderful memories Andy, thank you for sharing!

mkaroly

#9 Post by mkaroly »

For whatever reason I cannot get his role from THE CANNONBALL RUN out of my mind.

John Johnson

#10 Post by John Johnson »

London. Greatest City in the world.

Paul MacLean

#11 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:
andy b wrote:Amazing person who took fame as a gift and not for granted.

regards
Andy b
Wonderful memories Andy, thank you for sharing!
Yes, agreed -- great anecdotes!

KevinEK

#12 Post by KevinEK »

I was greatly saddened to read of this today.
Roger Moore was the first Bond I saw on film, with The Spy Who Loved Me, which I remember seeing in the theater with my family way, way back in the day.
By all accounts, he was a class act and a very decent man.
And while some of his Bond films were ridiculous, he also made some very good ones - my favorites are the middle three - Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker and For Your Eyes Only.

In addition to some very fine movie and television performances, Moore also left us another gift - for the 2006 Bond film DVDs, he agreed to come in and do commentaries for his seven movies. He's quite self-deprecating in these commentaries, usually starting them off with a statement that he doesn't remember much. And then he starts watching the movies and starts talking - and you realize he's not giving himself nearly enough credit. His memory was quite clear - and he repeatedly relates surprising anecdotes you don't see coming. And he's more than generous in discussing how much he enjoyed his co-stars. He goes on at length on his Spy Who Loved me commentary about how Curt Jurgens either sold him a nice property or made him aware of it - and how much he appreciated that over the years. At the end of his Moonraker commentary, he makes one of the nicest statements I've ever heard about working in the movie business. He compares a movie shoot to going on an extended cruise - how you are suddenly thrown into a situation where you spend your days with the same people over the next couple of months months - you see them every morning, you do your activities with them, you all share your meals together, etc. Moore sums up his observation by saying "I was fortunate to get on the right ones." I've never forgotten that.