THE BATMAN - March 2022 - Andy's Review

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!

Monterey Jack

Re: Robert Pattinson (!) Is The New BATMAN

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

What the actual frak? :shock:

Okay, he not just "that Twilight douche" (he's delivered credible performances in other films), but, seriously...they couldn't get ANYONE else?! Did he take the gig because his post-Twilight indies tend to gross $149.58 at the box office worldwide? :lol:

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I know I know. "But he's been great in INSERT UNSEEN INDIE MOVIE HERE" :lol:

I think it's a bad call -- physically he doesn't seem to work, and he doesn't have a ton of charisma. He's been wooden in so many of his performances. I guess he's got a main role in Nolan's 2020 movie so that's probably playing a part in this decision -- but I'll be damned if it doesn't appear like the studio looked at the TWILIGHT grosses and is assuming there's still a big audience built-in, to some capacity, for this casting. To me it would've made more sense 5-7 years ago if you were going to go down this route.

We'll find out but...damn, I have to say, I don't care for it out of the box.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:29 am ...but I'll be damned if it doesn't appear like the studio looked at the TWILIGHT grosses and is assuming there's still a big audience built-in, to some capacity, for this casting.
Yeah, because audiences flocked to Good Time, Cosmopolis and Maps To The Stars. :roll:

Same thing with the combined gross for every post-2012 Kristen Stewart movie probably being less than a third of the opening weekend for the last Twilight movie. :) Hell, she even got Fake Shemp'd in the Snow White & The Huntsman sequel (which made no money anyways).

Then again, who was expecting THAT performance from Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight?

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

True, except Ledger had been good in other roles, had a ton of charisma and carried fluff like A KNIGHT'S TALE single-handedly -- Pattinson is just kind of sleepy to me, he doesn't project much charisma in general. Did he give a good performance here and there in some indie movies nobody watched? Okay I guess, but this is Batman/Bruce Wayne we're talking about. Just looks like another bland Brit pretty boy wearing the suit...

Deadline says this isn't a done deal just yet and Nicholas Hoult is a leading candidate alongside Pattinson, who does "have the edge."

https://deadline.com/2019/05/rob-pattin ... 202616908/
While a report declared that Twilight Saga star Rob Pattinson had been set for The Batman, Deadline hears that the filmmaker and Warner Bros haven’t gotten to that place yet. Pattinson is on a short list but so is Nicholas Hoult, who stars in Tolkien and is about to open in the X-Men: First Class film Dark Phoenix. We’ll keep you posted as this unfolds, but several sources said that right now, the bat suit isn’t filled yet and that they like both guys, with Pattinson holding the edge.

Paul MacLean

#6 Post by Paul MacLean »

I agree he's an odd choice, but it doesn't bother me...because I have no desire to see this movie anyway! :lol:

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Zoe Kravitz is Catwoman in the new Reeves film, with Jonah Hill possibly essaying the villain:

https://deadline.com/2019/10/the-batman ... 202759926/

Monterey Jack

Re: THE BATMAN - June 2021 - Zoe Kravitz Signs On For Catwoman

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

Zoe is hot, so I have no problems with this. :)

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Jonah Hill must be out, as Paul Dano IS The Riddler:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/h ... ssion=true

mkaroly

#10 Post by mkaroly »

How many villains are going to be in this movie??

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Pattinson is going to be an EDGY Batman (I dont believe it!):

https://brobible.com/culture/article/ro ... rview/amp/

As for the villains apparently the director wants a "Rogue's Gallery" which would at least break up the usual pattern of every Batman movie often serving as an origin film for the villain, relegating Bruce Wayne to the sideline for most of it. Dump them all in here and have at it.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Just what I always wanted to hear...a Giacchino Batman score. :roll:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... no-1248779

Monterey Jack

#13 Post by Monterey Jack »

That's a BIG step up from the Zimmer sludge that has typified Bat-music for the last 20 years. :)

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Bleccch, not for me.

He's as much a part of the problem with film music today as Zimmer and his generic sound is. Just because he writes for an orchestra doesn't mean he has any talent.

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

Giacchino is obviously not John Williams or Danny Elfman, but he's written a number of scores I've enjoyed a great deal. Compared to the usual Ballllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllfe, I'll take his "casting" for this gladly.