Deepdiscount/Imprint Sale - New Titles Added

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Deepdiscount/Imprint Sale - New Titles Added

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

A few $10 Imprint titles are included in the latest Deepdiscount sale (use code FLOWERS to get them under $10!):

https://www.deepdiscount.com/search?mod ... iceLowHigh

Couple more here:

https://www.deepdiscount.com/search?mod ... iceLowHigh

I also noticed the "Blowout Bin" has a few other titles like Season 1 of BUCK ROGERS for $7 (the Aussie region free release) and some soundtracks like Intrada's LAND BEFORE TIME which I just picked up ($14 before the 15% off):

https://www.deepdiscount.com/blowout-bi ... z=77-11237

Monterey Jack

Re: Deepdiscount 15% Off Sale, Includes $10 Imprint Titles

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Grabbed the Aussie releases of Bridges Of Toko-Ri (blind buy, but hey, Grace Kelly :D), Scarface '32 and Year Of The Dragon. I have the Blu that came with the De Palma remake of Scarface, but it'll be nice to have it in a proper case w/substantial extras this time. I also have the Warner Archive release of Year, but the Aussie release has a lot more extras and should have a similar transfer. $30 and change shipped for all three. 8)

jkholm

#3 Post by jkholm »

The Imprint titles are region free, right? Is their version of The Deep any better than the U.S. release?

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

All Imprint titles are region free or should be.

The Deep is about the same. It does have the trailer and the original 2 channel Dolby Stereo mix which the US disc lacks...and a commentary by Illeana Douglas of all people which is listenable. It has all the other extras and the same transfer as Sony's US release so if you're a fan, it's $10 and it has nicer packaging :)

Year of the Dragon is a little different/older master than the Warner US disc but it's still solid. And as MJ says you get a bunch of meaningful featurettes and an extra commentary.

I stumbled across these looking for THE APOSTLE which I've wanted to see so I bought a bunch, Jonathan Livingston Seagull (hey it looks and sounds good!), Bridges at Toko-Ri, and the Intrada Land Before Time also. The Last Castle is also up there, Species 2 and Hard Rain among soundtrack CDs. Even The Force Awakens for $3

So far no other sites have posted about it so I hope the orders go through!

Eric Paddon

#5 Post by Eric Paddon »

Because I'm binging on nuclear war and post-nuclear war stuff I picked up the discounted Imprint release of the obscure 1951 film "Five". Also got the recent release of McQueen's last film "The Hunter" which I haven't seen since the late 80s on VHS.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

I was wondering if The Hunter had the Legrand score (my guess is it would since Imprint would be licensing the Paramount HD master from the US) or if it has the mishmash Charles Bernstein score with some Legrand tracks that allegedly showed up in some European prints.

Eric Paddon

#7 Post by Eric Paddon »

If I remember right, Bernstein composed the Chicago chase music (the film's biggest action sequence) and that was on the VHS release and was so credited. Was the original release in the US totally Legrand?

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

You're right Eric. Apparently some European versions only have Bernstein's score in them (the whole way) but looking now they are only dubbed versions (i.e. German). I guess on the European DVDs with the multiple language tracks you could flip to one of the foreign tracks to hear Bernstein's entire score, not just the chase scene.

Kind of weird you'd hire a replacement composer but only use his music for one scene...or was it the other way around lol.

Eric Paddon

#9 Post by Eric Paddon »

The book "Rejected Film Scores" has an entry on this.

"Once the finished movie was turned over to Paramount, Kulik’s opera-fan concept received mixed reactions. The studio felt that opera music was simply out of place in a contemporary Chicago crime drama. As a result, Charles Bernstein was hired to provide a more predictable urban jazz score with lots of low, masculine instruments. This replacement music is much more aggressive and significantly changes the movie’s tone. Following in the footsteps of such recent action/crime classics as The French Connection (1971), the spotting for The Hunter was relatively sparse and only featured dramatic underscore during key action scenes. In accordance with the change of mood, the music playing on Thorson’s car stereo was switched to jazz and lounge styles, which would now make up a significant portion of the score.

Kulik, however, didn’t easily accept the infringement on his musical vision and worked out a compromise with the studio. Bernstein recalls: The compromise was that the release in the United States had “Music by Michel Legrand” as the main title and “Additional Music by Charles Bernstein” in the end credits.

"They used my music for the more urban sections, like the chase on the rooftop, and used Michel’s music in the more love-oriented areas. In Europe and the rest of the world, my score was used in its entirety and the credits read “Music by Charles Bernstein.” Since Kulik insisted on having Legrand’s music in the U.S.-distributed print, Bernstein’s score was relegated to the European market, where American crime movies with compelling jazz-based scores had proved very successful. In turn, Legrand’s score, with a bit of help from Bernstein, worked well for the American audience.
Hubai, Gergely. Torn Music: Rejected Film Scores, a Selected History . Silman-James Press. Kindle Edition. "

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Thanks Eric I lost my copy of that book! But that makes sense. I was just wondering if Imprint had access to the "Euro Bernstein score".

Edmund Kattak

#11 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:16 pm All Imprint titles are region free or should be.

The Deep is about the same. It does have the trailer and the original 2 channel Dolby Stereo mix which the US disc lacks...and a commentary by Illeana Douglas of all people which is listenable. It has all the other extras and the same transfer as Sony's US release so if you're a fan, it's $10 and it has nicer packaging :)

Year of the Dragon is a little different/older master than the Warner US disc but it's still solid. And as MJ says you get a bunch of meaningful featurettes and an extra commentary.

I stumbled across these looking for THE APOSTLE which I've wanted to see so I bought a bunch, Jonathan Livingston Seagull (hey it looks and sounds good!), Bridges at Toko-Ri, and the Intrada Land Before Time also. The Last Castle is also up there, Species 2 and Hard Rain among soundtrack CDs. Even The Force Awakens for $3

So far no other sites have posted about it so I hope the orders go through!
The Last Castle expanded only cost me $20.00 including shipping and tax - with the extra coupon savings. A far cry from the $35 that it would have cost from one of the soundtrack boutiques.
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

I remember being so totally underwhelmed by that score...maybe in light of the last 20 years it's improved with age?

BTW just looking through but the next 2 weeks of preorders seem to qualify now -- the 4K of 1776 is one of those, making it $16.99. I may even buy it since I have no guarantee Sony will send a copy of that out to me for review.

Plus my big order just shipped, no cancelations! 8)

Monterey Jack

#13 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:19 pm Plus my big order just shipped, no cancellations! 8)
Same here. :) Sadly, still no use of coupons on a pre-order of The Warriors. :(

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Just worked for me. :)

I think it's actually working now for ALL preorders!

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:00 pm Just worked for me. :)

I think it's actually working now for ALL preorders!
Can you use the code more than once?

EDIT: Apparently yes! :shock: Ordering...!

Just a hair under $50 w/a recent digital copy sale taking off $5 and change on top of the coupon. :D