Changes to Amazon Prime Video (i.e. ads)

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

Changes to Amazon Prime Video (i.e. ads)

#1 Post by Paul MacLean »

Did anyone else get this email from Amazon?

We are writing to you today about an upcoming change to your Prime Video experience. Starting January 29, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time. We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than linear TV and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership. We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional $2.99 per month* that you can sign up for here.

So pleased that they "aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than linear TV and other streaming TV providers" .

:x

AndyDursin

Re: Changes to Amazon Prime Video (i.e. ads)

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Of all the different providers I find myself using Amazon Prime the least of all of them, especially when it comes to original content, I've never been into any of their series. :| Now I'll be using them even less!

I think that's absolutely outrageous they are adding ads on top of a service that's already subscription based.

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

How about the option for turning off all end credits pop-ups shilling other stuff on Prime or that horrible "Next episode" thing for the extra surcharge? :?

Paul MacLean

#4 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:30 am How about the option for turning off all end credits pop-ups shilling other stuff on Prime or that horrible "Next episode" thing for the extra surcharge? :?
That would be nice too. I get so tired of being redirected to another movie (which is of no interest to me — and which amazon is clearly trying to push) when I am trying to read the credits of the movie I just watched.

In any case my Prime renewal date is coming up in a couple of weeks — but I’m not planning to renew, because I’m irked by these new charges. And as it is, only a fraction of the movies on Amazon are actually “free" with Prime anyway (in contrast to Netflix where you subscription covers everything).

I like the free shipping that comes with Prime — but there are plenty of eBay sellers who also offer free shipping, so I can live without Amazon.

Sorry Jeff — you shouldn’t have been so greedy. :roll:

mkaroly

#5 Post by mkaroly »

Sorry to hear this is happening...they will always figure out a way to try to get more money out of you! Frankly, this whole thing seems to me to be unethical and a grave disservice to customers...total middle finger to the consumer and a worshipful stance towards money in our "attention economy" system (meaning whatever gets your attention makes money for someone else...hence all the ads since everyone is vying for your attention).

Eric W.

#6 Post by Eric W. »

Fleecing and greed of the worst order. Because Jeff Bezos and Amazon somehow aren't making enough money. I like Prime for shipping and the other perks but I, too, am contemplating what I am going to be doing in the next couple of weeks.

Paul MacLean

#7 Post by Paul MacLean »