Halloween Horror Marathon 2013

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Re: Halloween Horror Marathon 2013

#106 Post by Monterey Jack »

And another Halloween season comes to a close. :( I need a good, long break from shocks and scares, but I'll be back next October with a new collection of fright flicks. 8) Hopefully Andy and everyone else here will have more time to dedicate to scary movies then...

Vincent (1982): 9/10

Frankenweenie (1984): 10/10

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993): 10/10

Last edited by Monterey Jack on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

#107 Post by AndyDursin »

Thanks as always MJ!

IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN CHARLIE BROWN
Is any Halloween complete without it? I'm off to sing pumpkin carols before the clock strikes midnight!!

Paul MacLean

#108 Post by Paul MacLean »

Ok, I'm a few days late for this thread, but...

The Company of Wolves

This early Neil Jordan film almost defies classification, combining werewolves, Little Red Riding Hood, observations about sexual awakening and fairy tales in general. It also boasts a superb cast which includes Angela Lansbury, David Warner and a terrific young actress Sarah Patterson as the protagonist Rosaleen (who doesn't appear to have gone on to have done much else).

There are moments of abstract "artiness" that border on pretentious, and Chris Tucker's wolf transformation effects -- while impressively complex -- are gratuitous and a bit schlocky considering this is an attempt to be more of a "serious" film.

However the screenplay by Angela Carter and Jordan (based on Carter's short story) makes perceptive and revealing observations about young girls and their transition from childhood to adulthood, and it is in this area where the The Company of Wolves most succeeds. Rosaleen's curiosity (and fear) of sex, and the discovery of her power to charm and seduce (and the danger of being seduced herself) form the core of the story, all of which is presented in the guise of an alluringly nostalgic fairy tale, with beautiful sets designed by Anton Furst.

George Fenton's score is still one of his best, by turns terrifying and lushly romantic, and arguably the most beautiful horror score ever written. The ending of the film is very abstract and open to interpretation, but looks amazing in any case. I don't care for most horror films, but I do like this one a great deal. Though it is a sometimes flawed, The Company of Wolves has depth, artistry, is gorgeous to behold, and is ultimately a very rewarding film.