The Wild Geese.

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

The Wild Geese.

#1 Post by John Johnson »

Does anybody know of a Region 1 release for The Wild Geese? There is a Region 2 that came out through Warner Bros. in 2004 (I think!). This version has some interesting extras: an audio commentary with Sir Roger, a documentary about Euan Lloyd 'Last of the Gentlemen Producers' and footage of the original charity premiere in London. C'mon WB, get your finger out and gives us the British classic we truely deserve!

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Tango Entertainment is supposed to be importing the R2 set with all the supplements from that DVD. I don't have any contact over there (yet at least) but I believe it's coming soon!

andy b

#3 Post by andy b »

Does anyone know if this version will be 'letterboxed'? I saw the region 2 release stated 'wide screen 1:85.1' Wild Geese is a 2:35.1 Panavision movie.
I note Zulu Dawn is out on the same day & once again the R2 is in the wrong ratio, it to should be letter boxed as it was also filmed in Panavision.

If anyone is in the know, please post.

thanks

andy b

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Andy B,
Welcome to the boards!

I don't believe WILD GEESE is a Panavision film. I have the R2 DVD and it's 1.85, which after watching it, seems to be the correct ratio...it looks "flat" in composition and such. The IMDB also lists it as 1.85 "spherical," so I'm fairly certain that aspect ratio IS in fact correct.

ZULU DAWN is a Panavision film, on the other hand, and I haven't read much on the US DVD specs. I'm not familiar with Tango at this time, but I'll look into it.

Carlson2005

#5 Post by Carlson2005 »

The Wild Geese was definitely not a 2.35:1 film - I saw it twice on the original theatrical release and at most it was 1.85:1 (although it may even have been 1.77:1, still a standard British ratio in 1977). Not only that, but I've worked with the camera operator on the film, who also worked on Zulu Dawn, which was 2.35:1. Both were shot at a time when it was getting more difficult to shoot anamorphic 2.35:1 because of TV sales.

The UK DVD of The Wild Geese isn't bad, but there are a couple of niggles. The overture is missing, as is the intermission (it was a roadshow release in the UK), and for some reason the excellent trailer is not included. Moore's commentary is okay, but the Euan Lloyd documentary is very bland and overly respectful for such a controversial figure.

The UK DVD of Zulu Dawn is much more of a local scandal. Although the film was shot in 2.35:1, the film is mastered from a bleached-out 1.9:1 TV master. The stereo track is most likely processed mono (it's another one I saw theatrically, and the original stereo track was astonishing: it was the first film that I ever noticed stereo). The extras are laughable - despite a wealth of material being offered to them, including behind the scenes footage, interviews, trailers and a large stills and historical archive, it has a handful of stills and an advert for military prints and that's yer lot. Hopefully the US distributors will put in a bit more effort into both releases.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Hopefully the US distributors will put in a bit more effort into both releases.
Sounds like they're direct ports :( We'll see...

Carlson2005

#7 Post by Carlson2005 »

There is a French 2-disc DVD coming out in a couple of weeks that includes the same extras as well as a trailer (I don't know if it's French or English) and a 25-minute making of from the time called Stars' War, although no news on whether that will be dubbed or in English.

Carlson2005

#8 Post by Carlson2005 »

The film got given away as a freebie with today's Mail on Sunday (hmm, wonder why the country's most rightwing paper would give away a film where most of the last hour involves geriatric white guys killing lots of black extras? Nope, haven't a clue :wink: ). No extras, not even chapter stops, but a widescreen transfer.

John Johnson

#9 Post by John Johnson »

Carlson2005 wrote:The film got given away as a freebie with today's Mail on Sunday (hmm, wonder why the country's most rightwing paper would give away a film where most of the last hour involves geriatric white guys killing lots of black extras? Nope, haven't a clue :wink: ). No extras, not even chapter stops, but a widescreen transfer.
On the surface, it may seem that is the case. But if you beyond that, I think it has a thoughtful message there.

John Johnson

#10 Post by John Johnson »

Carlson2005 wrote:There is a French 2-disc DVD coming out in a couple of weeks that includes the same extras as well as a trailer (I don't know if it's French or English) and a 25-minute making of from the time called Stars' War, although no news on whether that will be dubbed or in English.
This is on the Region 1 version too. However, it doesn't say what ratio the movie is in.