NO TIME TO DIE [Bond 25] - SPOILER Talk

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: NO TIME TO DIE [Bond 25] - November 25th

#271 Post by AndyDursin »

At this point the Bond movie will be lucky to do $175 mil domestic. That's the ceiling right now which I don't think any movie has hit since March 2020, and the combination of media driven hype over cases and everyone being used to streaming/staying home will keep the marketplace deflated.

MGM should've taken the money.

Monterey Jack

#272 Post by Monterey Jack »

All $200+ million blockbusters that were in the can before Covid hit never had a chance of making their budgets back, and won't for years to come. :(

AndyDursin

#273 Post by AndyDursin »

Well I'm not shedding a tear over this line up. Conjuring 3 sucked, Fast and Furious 9, Jungle Cruise, Tomorrow War...this is like a perfect storm of COVID, people staying home, and garbage content destroying movie theaters all at once. Even minus COVID this looked like another year where audience attendance was going to take a hit.

The silver lining is this may actually force them to make something worthy of going out to a theater to see, if they want to revitize theaters. So much of this is their own doing. It's not like there's some amazing movie worthy of spending money to watch even out there or likely on the shelf.

AndyDursin

#274 Post by AndyDursin »

Amazing watching these Heineken ads where Craig looks 10 years younger and must've had some Botox injected.

AndyDursin

Re: NO TIME TO DIE [Bond 25] - October 8th

#275 Post by AndyDursin »

163 minute run time confirmed! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Monterey Jack

#276 Post by Monterey Jack »

OHMSS aside, Bond movies have traditionally been 130 minutes or less, so I don't know WHAT the hell EON is doing, unless it's Craig pushing to have scenes that should have rightfully been cut kept in the final edit. :? Could you imagine how awful a 163-minute cut of the original Star Wars or Raiders would have been? When did "escapism" become so self-important and bloated? And considering all of the Covid-era hurdles that NTTD has already in its path, having such an absurd running time is really gonna cut into how many showtimes it can have on its all-important opening weekend.

Paul MacLean

#277 Post by Paul MacLean »

Oh boy! Can't wait to see these "strong women" show that sexist pig 007 who's boss!

AndyDursin

#278 Post by AndyDursin »

Nothing gets you stoked about the new Bond movie than stories like this. :roll:

Monterey Jack

#279 Post by Monterey Jack »

"You've loved this character for decades, but now you should be ashamed of yourself...!"

It's like that infuriating booklet essay in the Arrow release of Sixteen Candles. :? The primal appeal of Bond has ALWAYS been his masculine aggression (I remember when Teri Hatcher complained that Pierce Brosnan bit her during a love scene in Tomorrow Never Dies, and my mother quipping, "I wouldn't mind if he bit me...!" :lol: ), so to take that out and chide longtime series fans for ever enjoying his aggressive sexuality makes one wish they'd just make a NEW secret agent character, one appropriate for consumption by a generation of asexual dorks.

Uh-oh, "rape"...!

AndyDursin

#280 Post by AndyDursin »

I nearly gagged when I read this quote from Barbara Broccoli in the Hollywood Reporter piece on Fukunaga:
Says Broccoli: “I think people are coming around — with some kicking and screaming — to accepting that stuff is no longer acceptable. Thank goodness."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235017724/
Your family has profited off this series for decades and now you're disgusted by it? What a fraud.

The media stories circulating on this movie are nothing short of nauseating. The whole "Bond is a white man of privilege" and "it's great to see a black woman not taking a seat to Bond" plus "Connery's Bond is a rapist" -- are these meant to get people excited to see this movie? At this point I'm starting to feel like I should just save my money and wait for video.

Eric Paddon

#281 Post by Eric Paddon »

I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say that I felt that Connery's behavior in "Thunderball" re: Molly Peter was going too far. That to me is the one moment in the classic series that left me uncomfortable and it's in fact the reason why to this day I don't think Connery would have been able at that point in time to handle the more sensitive love story of "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"

But that again is the exception, not the rule. After having suffered once through Craig's lousy movies I have no intention of seeing this one EVER. For me, the Bond franchise ended with Brosnan.

jkholm

#282 Post by jkholm »

The topic of Bond's supposed aggression toward women has been the subject of conversation in a podcast I listen to in which one host was very disapproving of Bond's actions while the co-host thought it was more a character trait to be observed and not necessarily something that was meant to be endorsed. Is it more clear in the novels that Bond's frequent one night stands are his way of coping with Vesper Lynd's betrayal?

Eric W.

#283 Post by Eric W. »

Ok so this is Woke Bond beyond any question. Do I gather that right?

Monterey Jack

#284 Post by Monterey Jack »

Oh no, he pins her arms above her head, RAPE...!

Edmund Kattak

#285 Post by Edmund Kattak »

And you wonder why nobody wants to see movies in a theater any more. This is just the capper of it.

The direction and inventiveness of storytelling seems lackluster, the stories that are being told are not compelling or well written, and the scoring is absolutely abysmal.

Take away the element of sexuality that could at least compel people to watch the screen and you have a "medicated" and "antiseptic" product.
Indeed,
Ed